Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you guys keep organized up front? Care to share any pics.

I've got a wide open space in my E-350. I want to build something but don't know what I want.

How does yours look? What do you store up front by your side?

I need a place for:

logbook
reciepts
job folders
pens, pencils, calculator
business cards
trash can
etc

·
Registered
154 Posts
A very complex system with layers. The stuff I used most recently is on top, and the stuff I haven't used in a ****'s age (and trash) goes on the bottom. The trick is remembering about how long ago you used something so you can dig to the correct layer. Rather too scientific for most people.

:laughing:

·
Pro
2,859 Posts
Spencer said:
How do you guys keep organized up front? Care to share any pics. I've got a wide open space in my E-350. I want to build something but don't know what I want. How does yours look? What do you store up front by your side? I need a place for: logbook reciepts job folders pens, pencils, calculator business cards trash can etc
Build a simple cabinet with hinged top . Also nice arm rest for when driving . And trash can thought that was the passenger side of truck for .

·
Registered
4,048 Posts

I've got a wide open space in my E-350. I want to build something but don't know what I want.

I need a place for:

logbook
reciepts
job folders
business cards
trash can
etc
I thought that was what the dashboard was for? :thumbup::laughing:

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
I would love to make or buy a console for my cutaway van, it would be a ton of space. The only reason I haven't done it is because with my sliding door between the cab and box open I can haul 12'ers on the floor and 16'ers if I slide them all the way up into the passengers foot area.

Just something to think about to save from putting on the racks or for those bad weather days.

Dave

·
Registered
3,277 Posts

I need a place for:

logbook
reciepts
job folders
business cards
trash can
etc
A briefcase will do all of those except the trash can. Mine includes a lot of that too!:whistling

My briefcase keeps all my current project/needs together, regardless of where I'm at at the time. I'm a big fan of the leather Samsonite line.
They hold up for about 10 years of very hard use.

I've been wanting to add a place to keep a laptop, so I can have it up while driving, mostly to do GPS mapping in a large format.

One thing to consider on your design, is to make the unit easily removable, if for nothing else to service the engine. Keyhole mounts would work well.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Here is my setup. Van with a partition between the cab and the cargo area. No door on my partition so I don't have to worry about having to remove my setup to open the door.

Hanging from my partition is a file rack something like these (http://www.americanvan.com/van-organizers/racks/). They are a little pricey so I made mine out of a plywood back and some hanging file folders from Staples. In this file rack I keep my log books, a few 3 ring binders, and a large manila envelope that I stick all my receipts in.

On my passenger seat I have something similar to these ( http://www.onestepahead.com/Travel/...ganizer.pro?fpi=107318&catCd=2I&prefixCode=2I), but I have mine hanging on the front of the seat. In this I keep office supplies ( extra pens, pencils, tape, stapler, post it notes, etc.), my camera, digital tape measure, any sensitive electrical equipment. I think Duluth Trading still has what they called the Cab Commander, which is similar.

On my console floor I have one of those small portable file boxes ( http://www.staples.com/Staples-Handy-File-Box-with-Organizer-Top-Black/product_757448). Keep job files, installation manuals, etc. in that. Built a plywood box with hinged lid to fill the rest of the space. Keep gloves, flashlight, junk in that. On top of the plywood box I have one of those small console organizers, that hold misc. stuff ( pens, pencils, phone, change).

I have a garbage bag hanging off the front of my plywood box, but am thinking of partitioning off the foot area on the passenger side since that seems where all the garbage goes anyways.

Now just need to find a place to stick a printer!!!

Hope this gives you some ideas.

·
Hair Splitter
18,335 Posts
I need to do the same thing. Currently I have steel box like Mike, but it's just a pita to get anything in and out of. I am thinking of going with a stair stepped console made from Birch ply. The top layer will be large enough for my clip board and will have a few drink holders.

The top layer will be on sliders and it will slide forward to expose the inner compartment. The inner compartment will have a lift out tray. I'll keep rain gear in the lower compartment. First aid kit and other supplies.

I'll be constructing it in the next few weeks and will post pics as I go.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I kept it simple for my E350. I picked up a few those hard plastic file holders that mount on a wall and affixed them to the door leading the back of the van. I keep all my paperwork in them. On my center console I keep my coffee or water, a cup for my change and my wallet. In the section below that I mounted a 12 volt triple tap for my phone, which is mounted on the dash, and for my Sirius radio also mounted on the dash. In that second section I also store pens, bank deposit slips and tissue/napkins. Below that in the bottom pull out little drawer Is where I keep all my snacks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts