Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any thoughts on the proper way to line a valley in the South? Several manufacturers are pushing their version of a "water barrier", why not use 14" metal to line the valley?

·
Registered
38 Posts
CALLSPC said:
Any thoughts on the proper way to line a valley in the South? Several manufacturers are pushing their version of a "water barrier", why not use 14" metal to line the valley?
i use metal and ice and water shield in all the valleys the bare minimum i would use metal i prefeer the 20in metal most of the time instead of 14 but in no way would i just use a water barrier my thoughts anyway

·
Commercial Roofing
1,220 Posts
We use a water barrier and a closed cut valley unless the shingles are of the super heavyweight variety, then we have to use an open cut valley with a preformed metal valley. Valley metal looks so archaic to me.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
We use Ice shield/water barrier and I am very confident that is more than adequate. Like Aaron we typically close cut our valleys, unless requested otherwise or are using a premium architectural (super heavyweight) shingle. The premium/heavy shingles don't bend well in the valley and must be cut thus we must use an metal, typically "W" flashing.

Also you must use valley flashing if you are using a cedar or tile roofing material.

·
Registered
38 Posts
doesn't the national code for roofing say to install metal in all valley's i close my valley's no matter what i agree metal showing looks nasty

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
Why to install metal under shingles in the valley?
As the shingles get older, I'm sure your aware, that they begin to chap and crack. The valley is the place you would like to have a little backup at the end of the shingle life. Not to mention the homeowner that doesn't no better to keep his stinking feet out of it.
I also use 20 inch metal.
Another positive attribute to tin, is the edge gives you a good straight line to cut back the top side of your lace (if you lace) preventing the unregular rise in shingle on each side of the lace. Leaving another sweet looking job by yours so truely.....Glass.

Bob

1 - 9 of 9 Posts