Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been trying to find an answer to this question without getting a lawyer with no luck thus far.

I had 6 violations on one contract that may result in the revocation of my class c license. this is the first infraction I have ever had since the start of the company two years ago. it is over a $308.00 down payment to a client that did not get the work performed and filed a judgment against the company for the balance. I paid the balance as requested and satisfied the court and client but now the DPOR has 6 violations against me. 3 of the 6 violations recommend my license to be revoked. This is still an open case at the moment but im trying to prepare for what could happen and get some insight from others as far as advice.

Here is the loop hole I think.....
The DPOR has filed this case under my original company entity "Christopher Walker DBA Stanley Contractors" I formed an LLC at the beginning of the year under the name "Stanley Contractors LLC" this is a separate entity from the one being filed against. the problem is that I hold the contractors license and am the qualified individual of the company.

With all that being said my question is:
Can I operate my LLC if MY license is revoked by assigning a new qualified individual but the company remains in my name?
Is there anything I can do in an effort not to lose the license to begin with?
If I do lose my license what can I do to continue the company?

·
I'm a Mac
5,487 Posts
I'm not from your area...but

If you get pulled over for speeding and get 6 tickets...what do you do? Get a lawyer

This is your livelyhood about to be taken away from you...hire a lawyer

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I fully intend to do so just wanted to know what the community thought of the issue before my lawyer gets involved. just trying to stay a step ahead as usual.....

·
The Ultimate Wire Hider
4,455 Posts
If I do lose my license what can I do to continue the company?
Start another company. Crooks do it legally all of the time. When you re-apply for your license and you answer the question about "have you ever had your license revoked?" you will be able to honestly and confidently say, "YES". In your explanation, all you will have to do is mention the nature of your original violation and the others were never warranted nor were they ever proven to be accurate.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
1 judgment to recover the down payment
2 improper contract "from the hip hand written"
3 bad check from a year ago "paid"
and three other s I don't remember......

keep in mind this is my first complaint in two years.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
also in my defense if they do revoke the license they will be putting 47 inhouse va based employees out of work along with 11 subcontractors. you would think the DPOR would WANT the income and not have that may people in the welfare line. Just saying.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
You don't remember what three of your violations were ? Really?

And you 're operating on a 'C' license ? You cant even build a little deck in Va on a 'C' license.

If I may say...go Monday, get a lawyer , he'll straighten it out for you. Go and at least apply for a 'B' license and try and be more careful in the future.

Good luck :thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
11,937 Posts
1 judgment to recover the down payment
2 improper contract "from the hip hand written"
3 bad check from a year ago "paid"
and three other s I don't remember......
All financial/contract violations. Correct?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
there no dis respect with your question. the simple answer is that I do not need an A or B considering the work range performed. it would be a waste of money in my opinion.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
this id correct other than there is a 10,000 cap now not 7,500.
the lions share of the work comes from NC where I and unlimited.
but lets stay on topic please.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
I 've seen people mess up bad and I've never heard of people losing their license so you'll probably have to go to a hearing and maybe put on some kind of probation and fined ( they love fining people, lol) but I say you'll probably be ok...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
that's strange, I say this because they actual waived all the fines which would have been over 9,000 and left the revocation recommendations .......

·
The Ultimate Wire Hider
4,455 Posts
if they do revoke the license they will be putting 47 inhouse va based employees out of work along with 11 subcontractors. you would think the DPOR would WANT the income and not have that may people in the welfare line.
That doesn't matter. Tens of thousands of people get put out of work every day from health inspectors, fire marshals, OSHA compliance officers, etc. With so many millions of people unemployed and/or on welfare, I'm sure that your 40-60 employees won't cause them to lose any sleep.

Personally I don't think that you've done anything bad enough to get your license revoked. I've seen people who remained licensed after committing many more violations that were more severe than what you are teling us.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I hope your right it just seems pointless to revoke my license based on the citations they have and it being a first offence. im waiting on the official letter and then I can accept or deny the result and have a hearing with the DPOR.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts