Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 145 Posts

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Me make'm wheel....

Got a neat project that I will be working on (and off). Had a guy come in and ask if I was capable of making a spoked wheel. He actually had a lot of the work done for me already, but he said he was over his head and wanted someone who knew what they were doing to finish up. Well, seeing as I never made a spoked wheel before I guess that made me the expert :laughing:

He is working on a 1/3 scale replica Gatling gun. I am hoping on getting a picture of the final project when finished.

He brought me parts to make two wheels. He made 2 brass hubs, very nice quality machining. Even made the nuts and bolts, very anal. We should get along fine.

He brought me parts made from Walnut. Each wheel will have 8 sections that will make a rim that is 18" in diameter and be 1" wide, 1 1/4" thick. It will have 16 spokes. I have sent the spokes out to my turning guy who will make them approximately what I need. The spoke needs to be oval shaped, and obviously running them on a lathe is going to produce a round shape. I am going to make a jig and sand the spoke to the final oval shape. The spokes will be doweled into the rim.

I'll try to get some pictures while I make these wheels.

·
Al Smith
2,392 Posts
Me make'm wheel....

Got a neat project that I will be working on (and off). Had a guy come in and ask if I was capable of making a spoked wheel. He actually had a lot of the work done for me already, but he said he was over his head and wanted someone who knew what they were doing to finish up. Well, seeing as I never made a spoked wheel before I guess that made me the expert :laughing:

He is working on a 1/3 scale replica Gatling gun. I am hoping on getting a picture of the final project when finished.

He brought me parts to make two wheels. He made 2 brass hubs, very nice quality machining. Even made the nuts and bolts, very anal. We should get along fine.

He brought me parts made from Walnut. Each wheel will have 8 sections that will make a rim that is 18" in diameter and be 1" wide, 1 1/4" thick. It will have 16 spokes. I have sent the spokes out to my turning guy who will make them approximately what I need. The spoke needs to be oval shaped, and obviously running them on a lathe is going to produce a round shape. I am going to make a jig and sand the spoke to the final oval shape. The spokes will be doweled into the rim.

I'll try to get some pictures while I make these wheels.
You can do the flat sides of the spokes on a lathe. Scroll forward to 2:15 in this demo video. He offsets the tail stock

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqm-mSPYEJc

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
That video was a real tease. He showed how to setit up but not the turning and then the finished product. I found this one and he shows the whole thing.

Go to 1:45

·
Banned
846 Posts
How big is it actually going to be? Are we talking yard ornament, paperweight, or?

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
1/3rd scale, the wheel is going to be 18" in diameter.

·
Banned
846 Posts
So it's going to sized to be like a coffee table knick knack?

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It will likely be the size of a coffee table. I really don't know. I only have the plans for the wheel and the hub, nothing else.

I am only assuming, but I think it will look similar to this.

·
Banned
846 Posts
Thanks Leo, I'm not that good with fractions. Sounds like a neat project.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That was weird, It worked in the preview fine. Thanks, I fixed my link.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yup, yer right. It is cheating. But there is a price aspect to it also. Need the work, and there is a price point limit. My turner is getting 1/3 of the price of the job. The wheel isn't made like the one you show here with a tapered end going into a hole. It was speced as a straight round tenon. Therefor the shoulder length needs to be perfect. Without one person doing the whole thing it is pretty hard to get the tolerances we need to do the wheel. If it were metal on a bridgeport I could do it. But not with wood, just the sanding alone could screw things up.

I am building the two rims, then I am receiving the 32 spokes that will be long and have no tenon/shoulder on them. I have built a jig that will put a 8" radius on the end of the spoke. I will drill the dowel hole using the center from the lathe, then cut to length, then put the 8" radius on. Then drill the corresponding holes in the inside of the rim, insert the dowels and fit the spokes over them and the insert the hub and tighten it down.

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
Just trying to uphold Gus'
traditional chain jerking. :laughing:

Thought you might enjoy the pix too.
I've seen 'em do it a few times
and find it awesome work.

Got one of my great-greats a
vital occupation deferment in the
Civil War too. :thumbsup:

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for busting my stones. Gus should be pleased.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Finally started on the wheel. I sent the spokes out to get turned and got them back. That started the ball rolling, but just a small push. I drilled the dowel holes for the 8 segments on each wheel. I cut out the inside curve on each segment. Then I glued them up. Had to go do another project after that.

Here are 8 segments shown in the formation of an octagon soon to be circle.

Here are 2 segments, doweled, you can see the outside line for the OD of the rim.

Here is the Octagon with the circle cut out before gluing up the rim.

Here it is clamped up. I use a strap clamp for rounds.

That's all I have for now. This project is on a 'as I have time for it' basis.

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
What's the wood?
The color looks like walnut from here.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Ya, you can thank my phone camera for that. I couldn't even photo shop it to the right color. I was able to get it close, but the birch plywood bench is way off.

Yes, Walnut.

·
Registered
234 Posts
regressing Leo ? Making wagon wheels now ,hum.

1 - 20 of 145 Posts