Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Accidental Painter
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been thinking of getting one for a while now. Starting to pickup more apartment complexes, & well pushing a freakin shopping cart just isn't the image i want:

Shopping cart Vehicle Cart

So after the initial sticker shock from the john deere website I've been keeping my open for a deal. Today I saw one @ menards for $3500 that was pretty nice. 2*4 dump bed, winch, headlight, brake lite, even has a windshield & roof.

Am I being silly here? 1 complex alone is 12 city blocks. I figure I can backup right to the front door, unroll the hose, paint, & run hehe

·
Pro
2,859 Posts
Driftweed said:
Been thinking of getting one for a while now. Starting to pickup more apartment complexes, & well pushing a freakin shopping cart just isn't the image i want: So after the initial sticker shock from the john deere website I've been keeping my open for a deal. Today I saw one @ menards for $3500 that was pretty nice. 2*4 dump bed, winch, headlight, brake lite, even has a windshield & roof. Am I being silly here? 1 complex alone is 12 city blocks. I figure I can backup right to the front door, unroll the hose, paint, & run hehe
Are you legally able to drive them in complexes . What's the insurance costs .

·
Super Moderator
44,692 Posts
Driftweed said:
Been thinking of getting one for a while now. Starting to pickup more apartment complexes, & well pushing a freakin shopping cart just isn't the image i want: So after the initial sticker shock from the john deere website I've been keeping my open for a deal. Today I saw one @ menards for $3500 that was pretty nice. 2*4 dump bed, winch, headlight, brake lite, even has a windshield & roof. Am I being silly here? 1 complex alone is 12 city blocks. I figure I can backup right to the front door, unroll the hose, paint, & run hehe
When I help build a state prison all the cheeses drove those things. Actually a lot drove 3 wheelers back then. I think its a great idea.

·
Accidental Painter
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are you legally able to drive them in complexes . What's the insurance costs .
Depends on state laws for public roads. As far as private property, if they're friggin maint crew can drive a golf cart, why the heck cant I?

Insurance would be commercial vehicle insurance policy. Here in Indiana, over 50cc it has to be registered like a car. Titled & all.

Also, the one I looked at today had 150cc engine, & tops out at 40 mph (sweeeet)

·
Accidental Painter
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
See thats where I'm kinda on the fence. Is it a "I wanna new toy thing" or is it a "legitimate" business expense that gives off a more professional appearance.

Speedwise, hellz yeah it could save ALOT of walking across the property. Or worse yet, starting up the van to drive a block over. Keep in mind I do these in orders of 5 at a time. I never just paint 1 unit.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Sounds more like a want than a need to me. I can appreciate the need for efficiency.
I will assume you are talking about doing the interiors of these apartment complexes?
Am I right in thinking you work out of a van and load and unload the shopping cart every day? Do you need to get the equipment to upper floors?

If you can get a UTV up to the building can you get a full size vehicle up to the building too?
I would be thinking along the lines of mounting a sprayer in a van with enough hose on a reel that you can get up and running quickly and just drag the hose / nozzle to the apartment where needed. That may mean investing in a bigger sprayer and larger hose to get this accomplished. I don't know the distances involved.

When doing these complexes are you doing multiple apartments of just one or two?

The UTV could be a legitimate business expense, I would think it depends on how much it is used for legitimate business use and how much for deer hunting etc.

Think long term, there will be maintenance costs, and plenty of other costs, plus storage and getting it to the site every day. However if it is going to make you more productive everyday then it should be considered. If image is a concern for you then I would think the money could be better spent.

·
Accidental Painter
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
https://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF...+47725&ei=TJyGUvSWOarQ2QXBxIDYAw&ved=0CDMQtgM

Here we go here is a map. Its the one off washington avenue. This is an average complex for me.

There is a front yard, so the van cant get too close. Usually 50' of hose is good enough to reach everything. I usualy just roll up, throw a drop in the living room, then park the cart on the drop, plug in, unroll & go.

I don't purge between jobs, so that when I get to job number 2 it's even faster.

With a vehicle, I am driving through a maze. With a cart I can cut through the grass. SHORTCUT!

As far as appearance, yes it does matter. It's a critical part of branding. From a logo'd vehicle, clean whites, etc...

I don't advertise, as these clients aren't hunting actively for contractors. Instead, I find them, make the pitch, & if they are tired of the crackheads doing chitty work...well here I am. It works, oddly enough.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
you may want to consider a Golf cart for the simple reason that you can find one cheap, you wont care if you get paint, scratches. . . all over it or have to worry that someone may mess with it while it is parked rught outside. It will provide your crew with all the benefits you speak of. It is hard but try to keep your tools and toys separate, I fail in this area constantly.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Help me with something Driftweed. On a typical day once you load up the shopping cart with your equipment and get to the apartment that needs painted first, how many times, or how much time, will you move around the exterior to get to the next apartment?

I am picturing that in a day you are painting apartments that are in close proximity to each other, but a good distance away from your van. On the other hand if you are painting an apartment here and then spending 30 minutes moving to the next one 2 blocks away then "travel time" needs to become more efficient.

·
Accidental Painter
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
A utv would kinda "blur the line" because, between work your darn skippy I would run to the gas station for smokes.

The pros:

Better looking than golf/shopping cart

Better able to handle bumpy terrain

Storage bed is higher, everything would be around chest/stomach height

Speed: would be able to drive just the utv to the jobsite, no need to lug it in on a trailer. Golf cart would require this.

Resale value: utv hold resale value best

Cons:

price

temptation to cruise it as a grocery getter would be massive (I live in the heart of the city)

Would definitely have to treat it as another vehicle (Insurance, register/title, maintenance)

I'm trying to make a list, lol

Maintenance

1 - 20 of 38 Posts