Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Repair/Remodeling Tech.
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you were going to build/have built a utility trailer, what options would you want to add?

Length?
Width?
Single axle or tandem?
Stake pockets? How many? Spacing?
A full length tie down rail, or just loops?
Drop gate or a slide in board "tailgate"?

Anything else that you have thought would be nice to have?

I know it depends a lot on what you're hauling. And I know it's just a utility trailer, so feel free to say "it's just a trailer dude, just do it"

·
Contractor
4,742 Posts
16' tandem 7k is pretty standard w/ short sides. Tough to fork anything on though-have to go from the end, set it down, then use a second pallet to push the first in. Deckover if you're hauling stuff that you need to have forked on often.

fold down gates if you don't do a lot of high speed driving-the wind resistance will effect mileage/handling.

·
Repair/Remodeling Tech.
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Chevy. I was leaning towards 14 or 16 ft, and tandem for sure. Didn't think about the forklift loading problems though. I supposed you could make one removable side...I can't think of any reason not to, unless someone else can. ??

·
Registered
150 Posts
just went through this at beginning of the summer. Get a dump model and buy bigger than what you need. I got 5'x10' and if I would do it again it would be at a 6 x 12 dump. AS it is amazing how handy they are for site clean ups. Also what you save from bin costs.

·
Registered
21 Posts
You are going to spend a lot more money on a dump trailer, but there are so many uses for it... hauling rock, equipment, garbage, and it will pay for itself in the end. Dumps weigh a lot more than a flatbed too.

8 x 16, 10k lb, tandem, flatbed is a great all around size with stake pockets every 4' for tie downs and easy forklift side loading. If you can find one with torsion axels would be even better...smoother ride. If you get a drop down ramp, you will have to remove it to haul anything longer than 16', albiet convenient when loading something with wheels.

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
We have a 7x14 10k without sides, also a dump trailer 10k , 5k 6x12 enclosed and a 7x14 10k enclosed. You can never have too many trailers :laughing: I would like one of the equipment trailers that tilts back so you don't need ramps.

·
Repair/Remodeling Tech.
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys. Lots to think about. Don't know if I really need a dump trailer, but maybe. Like was said, they're heavy. But are they heavy duty?? For instance, could I load a car/truck onto one and haul it around? Or could you even get a vehicle onto one (height-wise)? I don't necessarily NEED to haul vehicles around a lot, but ya never know.

·
Registered
261 Posts
i would say you could. I see guys hauling mini-ex and skid-steers in them all the time. Opening the doors of a car would be the tough part :)

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
I put my bobcat 185 in mine, you would need a pretty long one to get a car into it though. Honestly we used the flatbed for the first time in a year this week to drop off steel roofing, only because it was 3" too long. As far as weight goes mine is 2010lbs I think.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts