Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used home depot venetian plaster in a bathroom and i burnished it after but after a month or so it cracked and chipped and dulled alot. and i heard you could use a wax after that would protect it but i cant find a product. Does anyone know if there is a wax and what type you could use or have any suggestions????

·
Registered
180 Posts
A company called Triarch Industries (Duroplex) has some waxes that are supposed to be pretty rugged. I haven't dealt with them in years but I'm sure they are still around. You used to have to be licensed/certified by them to install their products. I'm sure if they are still around and still have a wax it would probably work. They have their own venetian plaster.

http://www.triarchinc.com/products.asp

·
Registered
ornamental plasterer
1,442 Posts
There are few types of wax for plaster. One is oil based wax, brand name "Baldini", other is water base liquid was - 'ecoCera'. Or you can use natural bees wax. Cook bees wax, put a little turpentine and californium, grease plaster with hot wax and buff.

·
Dan-Liquid Art Design
53 Posts
What was the cause of the cracking? Other than the 'cheap' factor of the product? Applied too thick?

Anyway, in the future, a higher quality VP will alleviate the need for any topcoat. Or use a lime putty plaster which is water,mildew, and stain resistant. Try Liberon furniture wax in neutral. (solvent based) Wears like iron, polishes to a mirror sheen. You can also use a natural soap, beeswax (which you can buy ready to apply), or waterborne waxes. Your faux/decorative finish suppliers will have quite a variety of these products, though you should be able to find Liberon quite easily.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I used home depot venetian plaster in a bathroom and i burnished it after but after a month or so it cracked and chipped and dulled alot. and i heard you could use a wax after that would protect it but i cant find a product. Does anyone know if there is a wax and what type you could use or have any suggestions????
What was on the walls before you applied the paster?

·
Registered
293 Posts
ive never used it in bathrooms... to much of a liability for the HO and myself.

i have used the home cheapo plaster tho... it actually works well if you know how to work it.

you dont need to wax if you know how to polish it correctly.... yeah, it will chip if you put it on to heavy... not made to go on more than 1/4in...

market for this stuff fell out completely, Lowes doesnt even carry it anymore... least not in my area.. to bad, a skilled/artistic individual can do really cool work with this stuff =)

as for it looking "dull"... umm... you didnt polish it correctly or good enough.??

·
Registered
3 Posts
Venetian Plaster

I know this is late on the discussion ... but I use MM (Modern Masters Venetian Plaster and when using in bath and kitchen areas they have a glaze that I apply with flexible blades the same as the VP ... it's great and has an awesome look ... (who knows might help someone down the road)
:rolleyes:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts