Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
16,392 Posts
I'm not liking pinterest at the moment. Lost 3 jobs in last few weeks due to it. One was a kitchen cabinet refinish which they are now doing their self because of pinterest. another was a deck job to replace some old dried out deck boards which they are also now doing their self with paint :blink: because of pinterest and few doors to hang which they are doing their self because of pinterest. The site seems more heading toward getting people to do these things their self than getting a pro to do it correctly.

I have a job to go look at for a friend and they are into pinterest big time. spend about 8 hrs a day browsing the site from what i been told. got a feeling this ones gonna be the same issue. What i have noticed is all the people i knew who were big couponers are now moving to pinterest and these people were some of the tightest people on the planet.

·
Remodeling Contractor
43 Posts
I can understand your frustration with losing jobs. I don't think that Pinterest is a bad thing. It's a place to give people ideas. Also its a really good place to build links to your website. I'm definitely no expert on seo but what I understand the more links from credible we sites with higher page ranks like Pinterest the better. So if you "pin" a picture from your website and then people repin that same picture 5, 10, or even 50 to a hundred times, you've just created that many high page rank links as Pinterest has a page rank of 7/10 I believe. I'm afraid you didn't lose your potential customer to Pinterest, you lost a tire kicker who was already thinking they could do it themselves and just wanted to see how much it would cost if they hired someone to do the job.

·
Registered
16,392 Posts
I can understand your frustration with losing jobs. I don't think that Pinterest is a bad thing. It's a place to give people ideas. Also its a really good place to build links to your website. I'm definitely no expert on seo but what I understand the more links from credible we sites with higher page ranks like Pinterest the better. So if you "pin" a picture from your website and then people repin that same picture 5, 10, or even 50 to a hundred times, you've just created that many high page rank links as Pinterest has a page rank of 7/10 I believe. I'm afraid you didn't lose your potential customer to Pinterest, you lost a tire kicker who was already thinking they could do it themselves and just wanted to see how much it would cost if they hired someone to do the job.
Your right about tire kickers. Get about 6 or so a week on avg just seems cheapest people are attracted to cheap ass places. It would be interesting to see how many pinterest users get contractors to do work. I compare it to Craigslist as I'm sure some contractors get a good customer but the bulk of the customers are out to get a cheap ass job. Hopefully pinterest don't turn out to be a place for customers to get more contractors round to tire kick when they get ideas on there. I bet if I would have been 1/4th my quotes they would have got me to do it though.

·
PRO
1,936 Posts
Interesting idea... I wouldn't have thought of that. What kind of things could a plumber put on Pinterest to drive traffic to their site?
Tons of stuff. People are always trying to figure out how to do plumbing themselves and then they screw up and eventually call a real plumber out to fix their mess....obviously what they should have done from the beginning.

Take pics of underground, top out, trim....unique faucets or just some sort of plumbing out of the ordinary. Write a good description for each.

·
Vendor
22 Posts

I have not used Pinterest myself, but the way its structured around visual cues makes it seem perfect for many contracting trades. An easy way to show off craftsmanship in a social setting. I'm sure many customers would love to brag about their new remodel with some nice pics.

·
Vendor
77 Posts
pinterest

I think it really depends on the company and the market. If you're a local contractor, chances are that 95% of the folks looking at your pinterest page are not local and out of your market. You might get some traffic, but the conversion probably won't happen. If you're national though, and have something that people can actually buy online, like us, you'll see some pretty impressive results.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts