Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am putting a 3 car garage attached to the back side of a home and there is an existing asphalt to the front of the garage(about 8') that is in good shape and has been there for some time.

The homeowner wanted me to tie the new 10" footing up to the asphalt and extend the 6" curb over the asphalt. (all with rebar in place) The curb would only be on about 8' of the asphalt on the end and extended across the front except where the double and single garage doors are.

I was thinking this might work if I score the asphalt under where the curb will be and drill holes in the asphalt every couple feet to tie the rebar into the asphalt under the curb.

Any ideas if this would work or if I would even have to score the asphalt under the curb? How else would the new cement adhere to the asphalt under it?

Would appreciate any reply,

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Eats popcorn while watching this train wreck crashing!

Would a true contractor even be brave enough to post a question like this?

(still amazed at profiles that have 1 or 2 posts with silly questions like this)

We should post by 20 different contractors that this is very doable so the homeowner can go to his contractor(I hope this isn't really a contractor posting such a joke) and he/she uses this as proof that it can be done wrong because a bunch of people on the Internet said it was a good idea, if it's on the Internet t must be true right?

Can the pictures be posted on the wall of shame thread later?

·
Love me some Concrete
1,834 Posts
Absolute fail! Asphalt has almost no compression strength or resistance to seperating!

·
Registered
585 Posts
Ya... In New Brunswick too, there is frost.. You need to go down 5'+ with a concrete wall and footings. Get someone who knows what they are doing and stop trying to half a$$ it

·
Registered
669 Posts
Now lets be fair here!! I think that will work!! If the re-bar are connected to the "sky- hook", it might carry the load for a few? But be sure it is bolted with left-hand reverse tread bolts! But I would consult a engineer to be sure!

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
I got someone with the sky hooks today. My buddy came over to borrow some scaffold. I had an empty tool box labeled "sky hooks" I handed them to him and said "here, these might come in handy". And he happily put them in his truck.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I got someone with the sky hooks today. My buddy came over to borrow some scaffold. I had an empty tool box labeled "sky hooks" I handed them to him and said "here, these might come in handy". And he happily put them in his truck.
When I was framing another crew got their new young guy to drive to 2 sites to find the board stretcher. The first crew he went to played along and sent him to us!

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
When I was framing another crew got their new young guy to drive to 2 sites to find the board stretcher. The first crew he went to played along and sent him to us!
Ha! I used to cook in a restaurant. They would call ahead to the place next door, then tell a new server we were running out of steam. They would come back in with a 20 gal pot filled with boiling water with Saran Wrap over it.

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
I had my new guy go to the lumber yard last week and ask if what caulk filled holes better, white or black.

I called ahead for what I really wanted.

·
Registered
344 Posts
We would send the new guy to the hardware store for shore line and a few other items.
Always would come back with out the shore line.

I know welders who send their new guys to find the bucket of sparks.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Used to smoke. We had a guy that said he could "anything" so he got hired. Of course couldn't do a damn thing. so at lunch we sent his a$$ to Walmart for a board stretcher and said if they didn't have one of those to just bring back Marlboros. At least he brought back the smokes and was fired.

·
The Dude
2,812 Posts
I was working in a metal fab shop when I was 19, and those fkers ran me around the shop like a moron looking for a metal stretcher. First they sent me to the tool shed. The tool guy sent me to one guy, who sent me to another, and another ... that shop is HUGE! The last guy sends me back to the tool cage, where the tool guy gave me a gargantuan metal thing with huge rollers. So I take it back to my guy and he tells me he doesn't need it anymore, take it back to the tool guy :laughing:

·
The Dude
2,812 Posts
Yeah, and to the OP - that's the dumbest idea I've heard since the invention of the board stretcher. There is an actual tool called a "jackhammer" - might be a good idea to use one.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts