Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been using run of the mill landscaping fabric / weed barrier to control weeds under rock. The weeds grow on it, under it, through it... I have to spray every couple weeks to keep them under control and it's getting expensive. I'm considering scraping up the rock (1.5" granite) and laying down EPDM rubber, the same 60mil stuff used on roofs. There are no plants in the area and if there were I'd cut a large 3' hole in the rubber around the plant.

But searching the internet I haven't found anybody else doing this. My question is why? What am I going to run into that makes this a bad idea? The cost saving in chem and time alone would make the extra cost worth it to me.

·
Relentless
Space Mining
4,249 Posts
Just put dollar bills down in two layers, alternate direction on the second layer for strength.

• Haha
Reactions: Ed Corrigan

·
Relentless
Space Mining
4,249 Posts
If you've just got rolls of EPDM laying around, sell it to a roofer and use the proceeds to buy some landscape fabric, an old bridgeport mill, and a steak dinner.

·
Registered
Remodel
34,261 Posts
Concrete is bullet proof for this and can be power washed. It won't blow around.

The crushed granite will trap stuff and weeds will grow in it.

The average weed block doesn't block weeds. You have to get the stuff used to cover the ground in nurseries. That will block weeds, and you can leaf blow stuff off of it.

People don't use epdm or pvc because it's expensive.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Concrete is bullet proof for this and can be power washed. It won't blow around.

The crushed granite will trap stuff and weeds will grow in it.

The average weed block doesn't block weeds. You have to get the stuff used to cover the ground in nurseries. That will block weeds, and you can leaf blow stuff off of it.

People don't use epdm or pvc because it's expensive.
I'll get the same problems as I currently do even with the heavy woven poly (which based on my conversation with the nursery I bought it from, I'm already using) or epdm if I cover it with something that traps material so don't spend the $. Got it. Thank you to those that offered advice.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
We‘re not supposed to be assisting DIYers here.

You’ll have better luck at diychatroom. com.
Why would I have better luck talking to DIYers over pro's? I contract machine/manufacturing jobs so I am following the rules. I'm just not a landscaper so don't have the experience on this topic. If you ever need to know the best way to repair or modify your equipment to work better for you, go post it on the DIYer site see where you get. Though they will be nicer about it over there..

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
8,132 Posts
Don’t hate the player, hate the game.

I didn’t make the rules here, the sites owners did.

And they set this site up to be used by those professionally employed in the building trades.

If you don’t like that, take it up with the Admins. 👍

·
Relentless
Space Mining
4,249 Posts
Just put dollar bills down in two layers, alternate direction on the second layer for strength.
If you've just got rolls of EPDM laying around, sell it to a roofer and use the proceeds to buy some landscape fabric, an old bridgeport mill, and a steak dinner.
Thank you to those that offered advice.
Probably weren’t talking to me but you’re welcome.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts