Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

using antique street pavers for building veneer

3K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  6stringmason 
#1 ·
Has anyone used antique street pavers for builiding veneer? any opinions on doing this? I'm referring to the clay pavers typically found in old streets, made by companies like purington..approximately 3"x3.5"x9" and weigh approximately 10 pounds..any input would be appreciated..

#2 ·
As long as they are not in total disrepair there's no reason you cant use them. Up here the latest craze was laying the big handmade brick and solids bedside out. Now some people are actually putting pavers up as veneer also.

#6 ·
Yes they actually make a "cultured brick" now that you apply the same as you would cultured stone. As long as there is a brick ledge there will be no weight issue though with the pavers. Post pics if you can when its done. I would like to see how it turned out.

#8 ·
Are you doing the work yourself or hiring someone to do it. I guess Im asking if youre a mason or builder looking for prices. And I guess it depends on how irregular they are. Probably not a whole lot of a price difference if I were to bid it.

#10 ·
Rock,

Tried to post this yesterday, but "server problems" keep it off.

The Brick street pavers I remember as a kid in Philadelphia were real dense and quite impervious, so you might have some problems with the material wanting to swim around in the wall a bit. (kinda like laying up glass block ;) ) I don't think that the 10% kicker would be out of lin, since the masons won't be able to get as much footage up in a day. As for the irregular shapes, all you can do is lay it to a string line and let it all average out. We use to use antique Austin Commons for face brick, and some times they would look like camel humps and horseshoes. Finished wall always look good though.
JVC

#11 ·
Yeah. I bet they wont set up nearly as fast as the more porous normal brick. Never thought of that one. :eek:

Anyway rockbrain, Im from the Green Bay area and Im curious.. what are the masons getting for normal brickwork per sq down there?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.