Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everybody, My first post here and i was wondering if anybody has had experience with using a transit and grade rod to figure up a road bore. If so, how do you do it and what is the formula you use? Thank you

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm very well familiar with the grade rod and understand it well, but i do not know what equation i would use to figure out what degree the road will need to be bored at. So my question is after i gather up my shots, what formula is used to figure out the degree from transit shots

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
24,724 Posts
I don't get it. Are you asking a code/regulations question, or straight math? Rise/run calculations are very basic trigonometry; should be no problem at all if you actually have engineering qualifications.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mike B new exactly what I was asking. Just trying to figure out if the rise is figured out by your entry shot and your exit shot

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
5,689 Posts
I'm very well familiar with the grade rod and understand it well, but i do not know what equation i would use to figure out what degree the road will need to be bored at. So my question is after i gather up my shots, what formula is used to figure out the degree from transit shots
Are you attempting to convert your total rise in feet/tenths, to degree of slope?

Delta

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My rise is already figured in tenths due to my grade rod. Just wanting to know what number to use for the equation. I'm pretty sure it's my transit shot at the entry of the bore hole and the exit of the bore hole

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Preferably someone who has shot road bores before, nobody has really narrowed it down for me except Mike B im pretty sure I have to use tangent inverse. Mike B has seemed like he's understood my question the best. Would really like to hear from him again

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Difference of the two elevations over the distance in feet between the shots, point of entry - point of exit , say a 4 rod right of way, of 66 feet with an elevation of 963.34 feet entry going up hill to 965.67 feet is a difference of +(slopes upward!) 2.33 feet over 66' = 0.035303/1.00 grade, a big+3.5 % grade UPWARDs from the low shot.

Doesn't the machine come with hours of U-tube training videos?

A couple of days training much cheaper than fixing a 10,000 pair fiber optic line...etc...

If your post comes into evidence after you torpedo a fiber cable, good luck getting insured and a new job....:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 47 Posts