Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am beginning to quote more commercial clients and was wondering how many of you complete a contract with your commerical clients and collect a deposit at signing??

I have two commerical clients that I know and send me business from time to time. I trust them and they have always paid. So I would look at the job, quote them, buy the paint and do the job. No deposit given. The invoice would then follow. I should say that a recent disagreement with one of them resulted in me eating $450...I did this to keep the peace in the working relationship.

However, I'm not sure if I want to do this with new commerical clients. However, I have asked around and it seems that contracts or deposits are not the way to do business... a handshake or verbal confirmation is Ok.

What do you do?? Do you get the commercial client to sign a contract and provide a deposit as you would with your residential client?

How long do you give your commerical clients to pay...upon completion, 10 days, 15 days, 30 days, etc??

Zeebo

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
My bro-in-law is a commercial GC, specializes in medical buildings. He always gets 30% down, draws and final upon completion. Never put YOUR money into someone elses property, it's too hard to get back if something goes wrong.

·
...jammin
5,234 Posts
Zeebo said:
...how many of you complete a contract with your commerical clients and collect a deposit at signing??
Me
Zeebo said:
Do you get the commercial client to sign a contract and provide a deposit as you would with your residential client?
Yup
Zeebo said:
How long do you give your commerical clients to pay...
Upon completion

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
AAPaint said:
I don't do any big commercial work, so I don't know how it goes...but I'm not working for anyone until they sign my contract. That's the contract in contract-or.....I even use it on small jobs under $1000. What do I know?

Sounds like you know something good ...thanks for the info

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.