Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why does everyone with USED aluminum pump jack sets think they are worth SO much $$??

I've been shopping around for a package (2-24ft poles, 2 jacks, 2 benches, 2 braces), and I couldn't believe I found them NEW from a dealer for $843 with FREE shipping.

THEN, I called another place a little closer to me (I bought a new 8'-6" Brake from them like 4 yrs ago, and it was well worth the 4hr round trip for me at the time!), and they quoted me $816 plus a mere $10 for shipping, and I can have them in 3 days. :clap:

BTW- the latter one includes (2) 24' "Titan" poles, the rest of the components are all Alum-a-pole. The sales rep told me the wall thickness, strength, etc, are EXACTLY the same! (yet there's over a $100 difference in price for the Titan vs Alum-a-pole 24 footers)

--------------

So many used ads are saying they've paid "$2,000+" for them, etc.

Are aluminum prices at a record LOW now- or do most people not even LOOK for the best prices when they buy something like this??

Anyway- I didnt provide any links/names, as I realize it may be against site rules (I am not here to SPAM!). But I was real happy to find out how cheap these are now... :thumbup:

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,384 Posts
Are you sure that they are just selling the jacks and not their entire system inlcuding Aluminum Scaffold Planks and safety equipment. That stuff costs a bundle.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
It also depends on the manufacture of the equipment also. It may be Alum-A-Pole or Werner components as apposed to something you can buy at HD such as Qual-Craft.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
It also depends on the manufacture of the equipment also. It may be Alum-A-Pole or Werner components as apposed to something you can buy at HD such as Qual-Craft.
Agreed. If I'm going to put my ass 20' in the air and rely on some poles and friction devices to keep me there, I'm more than willing to pay a premium to have the best equipment I can get.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I would assume with the price of aluminum at rock bottom and the need for such equipment down considerably the manufactures probably dropped prices.
I purchased mine in the "boom" because I needed them regardless of cost. I did shop around and found the best deal at a place in Allentown PA. Beth-Allen ladder. At the time 2 -24' poles, 2-6' extensions, a 16'' x24' HD plank and a 24'' ( mother of all work platform) plank, the total was around $2500. That was still much less than online offers and local dealers.

·
Registered
463 Posts
The price seems to go up and down . Ive paid 1400 bucks for a set of Alumapole pumps in a pinch . I had 5 sets but they where robbed . The poles will last a life time it really doesnt matter what they cost . Ive bought lots of equipment cheep this year Two new breaks 8'6" 10'6" 4 sets of poles with 24' x 14 picks 700 bucks 28' and 32' pick 250 each . I still have 4 24x14 ' picks that i bought in 1981 the stuff lasts for ever.
850 for 2 poles is very cheep sounds to good to be true . John

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
850 for 2 poles is very cheep sounds to good to be true . John
The poles are only $199 each (24ft, Titan brand). Alum-a-pole brand is $313 each. Supposedly they are EXACTLY THE SAME.

$816 is for the whole package! (2) 24' poles (Titan); (2) Aluma roof braces; (2) Aluma Pro Jacks; (2) Aluma work benches.

I have a 12in x 24ft pick already, but plan to use that for the bench. I got it used last year (literally right around the corner from a job where I really needed it, too!) for $150. It's old but it's in decent, SAFE condition still. The previous owner tried telling me that it's a "2-man", but I am pretty sure it's a 1-man plank.

I do want to get a 24ft 2-man pick though. I do believe i will go for the 20in one, which is not too much more than the 14in. I think the extra width will be worth it...

BTW- this is at Beth-Allen, too.

Thanks for the replies. I guess the prices of this stuff really does fluctuate after all. :eek:

It'll be good to know that I can always sell this package for what I paid (or more! lol) in a few years, if need be (but I doubt I will ever sell it)...

·
Registered
463 Posts
The poles are only $199 each (24ft, Titan brand). Alum-a-pole brand is $313 each. Supposedly they are EXACTLY THE SAME.

$816 is for the whole package! (2) 24' poles (Titan); (2) Aluma roof braces; (2) Aluma Pro Jacks; (2) Aluma work benches.

I have a 12in x 24ft pick already, but plan to use that for the bench. I got it used last year (literally right around the corner from a job where I really needed it, too!) for $150. It's old but it's in decent, SAFE condition still. The previous owner tried telling me that it's a "2-man", but I am pretty sure it's a 1-man plank.

I do want to get a 24ft 2-man pick though. I do believe i will go for the 20in one, which is not too much more than the 14in. I think the extra width will be worth it...

BTW- this is at Beth-Allen, too.

Thanks for the replies. I guess the prices of this stuff really does fluctuate after all. :eek:

It'll be good to know that I can always sell this package for what I paid (or more! lol) in a few years, if need be (but I doubt I will ever sell it)...
I just like the alum a pole and wouldn't buy any thing else.
as far as the picks go the 20" wide picks are very heavy. I have a bunch of them in different lengths 16' to 32' and they are hard to load and unload , stack on a truck . They are nice to stand on . My guys never want the 20" picks at the job. The 14" are really wide enough and we use ladders for the work bench. John

·
Registered
2 Posts
Why does everyone with USED aluminum pump jack sets think they are worth SO much $$??

I've been shopping around for a package (2-24ft poles, 2 jacks, 2 benches, 2 braces), and I couldn't believe I found them NEW from a dealer for $843 with FREE shipping.

THEN, I called another place a little closer to me (I bought a new 8'-6" Brake from them like 4 yrs ago, and it was well worth the 4hr round trip for me at the time!), and they quoted me $816 plus a mere $10 for shipping, and I can have them in 3 days. 👏

BTW- the latter one includes (2) 24' "Titan" poles, the rest of the components are all Alum-a-pole. The sales rep told me the wall thickness, strength, etc, are EXACTLY the same! (yet there's over a $100 difference in price for the Titan vs Alum-a-pole 24 footers)

--------------

Are aluminum prices at a record LOW now- or do most people not even LOOK for the best prices when they buy something like this??

Anyway- I didnt provide any links/names, as I realize it may be against site rules (I am not here to SPAM!). But I was real happy to find out how cheap these are now... 👍
[/QUOT

THEN, I called another place a little closer to me (I bought a new 8'-6" Brake from them like 4 yrs ago, and it was well worth the 4hr round trip for me at the time!), and they quoted me $816 plus a mere $10 for shipping, and I can have them in 3 days. 👏

--------------

Anyway- I didnt provide any links/names, as I realize it may be against site rules (I am not here to SPAM!). But I was real happy to find out how cheap these are now... 👍
I need to know the website that you got it for that cheap. The cheapest I've found them is for 1300 and I would have to travel 6 hours to get them. Please help.

·
Registered
Butcher of wood and metal
6,988 Posts
Being this is a 12 yr old post , it is reasonable that have gone up a good amount.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,384 Posts
3" heart attack is what I remember about pump jacks.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts