Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a basement drywall ceiling that needs finished on a trim out I started today. I'll be finishing it but there is no way I'm sanding overhead. I have been kicking around the idea of a power sander for a while.

I checkout out the PC and Festool online but as I'm a carpenter and finish occasionally 1700 is a bit much for part time use.
I stopped at the local rental yard and they said they would sell me the PC sander for $200 and a PC Vac for another 200. Is it worth $400 for a used machine. Price sounds good to me, What do you pros recommend?

Thanks, Matt

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
Rent it once and find out... See if they'd apply the rent to the purchase

I love mine, and wouldn't sell it for any less than that

Reactions: Burns-Built

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Burns-Built said:
I have a basement drywall ceiling that needs finished on a trim out I started today. I'll be finishing it but there is no way I'm sanding overhead. I have been kicking around the idea of a power sander for a while. I checkout out the PC and Festool online but as I'm a carpenter and finish occasionally 1700 is a bit much for part time use. I stopped at the local rental yard and they said they would sell me the PC sander for $200 and a PC Vac for another 200. Is it worth $400 for a used machine. Price sounds good to me, What do you pros recommend? Thanks, Matt
That's what I paid for mine about 6 years ago. I was iffy if it was worth the cost at the time. It has made me tons of money. No dust. People are thrilled not to have dust all though thier house.

I would offer $300 cash for the set up. See what he says. Then after your done u could always resell it.

I looked hard st the festool. But in the end I went with the PC. I only do drywall a couple times a year and i already had the vac.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I have a basement drywall ceiling that needs finished on a trim out I started today. I'll be finishing it but there is no way I'm sanding overhead. I have been kicking around the idea of a power sander for a while.

I checkout out the PC and Festool online but as I'm a carpenter and finish occasionally 1700 is a bit much for part time use.
I stopped at the local rental yard and they said they would sell me the PC sander for $200 and a PC Vac for another 200. Is it worth $400 for a used machine. Price sounds good to me, What do you pros recommend?

Thanks, Matt
put the mud on smooth and just wash it down;)

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
$400 sounds good to me. You will find many other uses for it.

The dustless vac goes to every job. It is only used for fine dirt/dust.

The sander hits all painted walls prior to re-paints.

·
Finish Carpenter
4,999 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I know I have one...but the sanders don't make everyone a drywaller
So youre saying just cuz I have a sander doesnt make me a drywaller? That sounds like a blanket statement.

So I picked up that used PC 7800, $220 out the door. This thing is sweet:thumbup: I walked over the lids and bead today before second coat just to see how it worked. I have a shop vac hooked up to it that will be dedicated to the sander. I don't know why I didnt buy one of these years ago. The suction is great, if you have never run one the head actually sucks to the ceiling.

Since I am not a professional :whistling what grit do you guys sand out with? 150?

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
Believe it or not... I use 80 grit most of the time.

You really have to keep moving;)

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Believe it or not... I use 80 grit most of the time.

You really have to keep moving;)
:eek:like run.

Steve, won't 80 leave swirl marks? I'm thinking 120? I'm sure everyone has their preference and then of course your different types of mud.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
It's not bad if you kinda use a light touch and speed it up. Usually a pad will dull down pretty quick so it's more like a 100 or 120

It will eat through the paper if you stay on one spot too long lol

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
Key is to keep it moving.......You will find out.

100-120 for sanding drywall. 80 is what I use for pre paint and texture sands.

I would have bought the pc vac. The filter system is better than that shop vac.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts