Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have been trying to find any info on internet on california codes about using used or recycled lumber on a new house, can anyone point me in the right direction on it

·
Registered
818 Posts
Idk about cali, but I'd bet they want to see a grade stamp. Probably also need a lead and asbestos test on them too...

·
hack of all trades
1,144 Posts
I'd assume as long as they're graded and don't look totally thrashed they should pass. I have some old rough cut beams from a Chicago 3 flat demolition that I hope to use somewhere, but I doubt I'll be able to use them structurally without having them individually inspected or graded.

·
GC/carpenter
43,900 Posts
I've been framing in this state since 1983 and I haven't once seen an inspector look at a grade stamp. Not saying they won't just saying I've never seen it. I framed hundred of homes. There's been times I've worked on a 400 home tract back in the day as a lead so I was right there with inspectors. I've work on many customs also.

·
GC/carpenter
43,900 Posts
They never look at the important chit but they will count the A-35's at your shear transfer. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
This is a possible question on the Michigan builders exam, and the correct answer is that it just has to be free of any damage.

·
Registered
13,380 Posts
IRC
R104.9.1 Used materials and equipment. Used materials, equipment and devices shall not be reused unless approved by the building official.

IBC
104.9.1 Used materials and equipment. The use of used materials which meet the requirements of this code for new materials is permitted.* Used equipment and devices shall not be reused unless approved by the building official.

Tom

·
mindmapping it all!
142 Posts
I've used "used" wall studs in walls before and added them in with new studs- the width of the old was wider than the new so posed a problem but worked great where only the interior side was utilized and the difference set into the void behind the wall. I'd say use the used wood vertically only and not horizontally and you should be good. now, building a shed is a whole other matter, that used lumber could be used for every board on the place

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
Just my .02 cents. I would not bother to use used lumber. Reasons being,most lumber is so dried out nailing tends to split it in most applications unless the nails are strictly going into end grain. Also, "new" lumber tends to shrink a tad enhancing the bond around the fastener / nail, on used lumber that ship has long sailed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts