Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm homeowner who hired painter to paint exterior walls with Duration/ satin, light gray, over old flat white paint that was peeling and cracking in spots. He removed most of the loose paint, and then sprayed 1 coat of Duration. I had him go back and patch a bunch of spots which he did & I assume sanded & primed over those spots before repainting it.
DISASTER!
It's shiny in spots but dull and lighter over patched areas which were sanded smooth matching wall surface, but texture is obviously different.
Which led me to this site.
From what I've learned here, it looks like he needs to sand (lightly?) entire house, then spray a primer/sealer on entire house (PLEASE recommend product) let it dry 24 hours, and respray entire house with another coat of Duration. Weather here is now very rainy in 40's & forecast is more of same. Also, he didn't wash a very dirty, dusty south wall 1st. I had hosed off the other 3.
Are these procedures going to remedy the problems? Will it help to add a bit of tsp to water and mop walls down before sanding? Saw someone on this site who did that to slightly etch the walls. Would it help if I bought Duration in low lustre for final coat? Paint it 1 shade darker to help hide imperfections?

THANK YOU FOR ANY HELP YOU CAN OFFER. I've learned my lesson - check out this site before hiring someone so I know what they should be doing 1st time around.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
You won't get much help here. Try our sister site DIY chatroom. Good luck, looks like you will need it!

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
24,574 Posts
Thanks for posting on ContractorTalk.com. The Moderators of this forum would prefer that you post Do It Yourself related topics on our sister site www.DIYChatroom.com

ContractorTalk.com is designed for professional contractors to discuss issues and topics related to the construction and remodeling industries. Many of our professional contractors are also members at DIYChatroom.com and are looking forward to assist you with your needs.

Please take a moment to post your question at www.DIYChatroom.com If you're not already a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to Register

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused. This thread has been closed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.