Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if this idea would work.
To use with gravel pit run material not top soil material.
Use a box grizzly plant with movable grizzly bar spacing with 40 degree steep slope; to screen out over size rocks down to one inch size product in a single pass.
Grizzly bars would be spaced at one inch gap opening.
The grizzly bars would not shake like a box screen deck does. But the screen deck slope is like a 15 to 20 degree slope.
Has any one done this?
What was the result did it work?
What problems did you have?
If you have not tried it; what do you think? How it would work, possible problems?

·
Stud
605 Posts
I know someone who had a homemade one made with i-beams welded at an angle. It was spaced at 1' because main idea was to remove larger rocks. We used it once and it worked out ok. We actually talked about buying it because guy closed up shop but we never got around to it. Not sure if it would work well spaced at an inch.

·
Box Builder
6,320 Posts
If the grizzly bars aren't shaking and they are set steep, don't you think you would loose a ton of good material. It would just slide off, no?
Go trommel

·
Owner
58 Posts
I built this a few years ago, works amazing with gravel, not so good with loam. I later put a 2" screen under the grizzly bars and added a dump body vibrator and wired in a remote so I could activate from the equipment. That also worked amazing.

Alan

Attachments

·
Repair/Remodeling Tech.
1,645 Posts
One problem with bars vs. mesh screens is you still end up with oversize rock going through it. Say if a rock 1" x 6" x 3" stands up just right, it will go through.

It doesn't happen often, but it happens.

Stationary bar sets have a LOT of override, especially at 40°. Might have to tilt it down so the rock has a chance to go through. Then of course you get more blinding, so you have to drag it off with the machine. It's hard to find a balance of not too much good rock going to the spoils pile and not too much time spent cleaning the bars.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts