Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
I posted this over in Paint Talk as well. I thought you guys might like it too.

How many times has this happened to you?

You meet with a construction lead to take a look at a possible job. Whether it is painting, remodel, windows, or anything. The project looks like something that fits in your wheel house and you head home to write up the bid. *You spend a couple of hours figuring the bid and send it off to client's email address. Now you just wait to hear something. You wait, and wait, and wait. You never hear from them again.

Another Job lost. And here is the kicker you have no idea why. Was it the price? What is the presentation? You will never know.

There is one simple tool that you can implement today that will stop this shenanigans. You will immediately increase your sales and you will be able to find out why you lost the ones you lost.
The secret is relentless and shameless follow up.
Most contractors will send off their bids and just wait for the customer to follow up. This is a deadly sales mistake. You have to be aggressive with your follow up and you have to keep asking until the client says no. *Then you ask them why they said no. 4 our of 5 times they will be happy to tell you exactly why they chose someone else, who they chose and how much they are paying. *When I learned this I was blown away.

Boomerang for Gmail

The hardest part of all this is keeping track of who to follow up with and when. Thats where this simple tool comes in. Its called Boomerang for Gmail. It is a simple browser plugin that reminds you (if you haven't heard back from the client) to send them another email. Download it and install in your web browser.

It adds a little check box and drop down box to every email you send. Just check the box and send the email to your client. Then, If you don't hear back from them in 2 days, Boomerang will return the email to the top of your inbox so you can send a follow up email.

Just keep doing this in perpetuity until the client either hires you, or tells you they hired someone else.

The simple act of following up will set you apart from 99% of other contractors and will give you a competitive advantage. I can't count the number of times a client has said, "Thanks for following up with me. Go ahead and put me on the schedule." Simply because you spent an extra 30 seconds following up.

What if they hire someone else?

If they've decided to go with another contractor, they will tell you because they want the emails to stop. Either way, you won't have to keep wondering about that job. And it also gives you a great opportunity to ask for reasons why they didn't hire you. You can use this information to improve your bid process or your pricing. Most of the time they will even tell you who they did hire, why, and for how much. This info gives you so much of an upper hand that it is unbelievable. And trust me, no one else is doing this. You will have the advantage.

So, sign up for Boomerang for Gmail right now. Do it and dominate your market.

·
Sales Connoisseur
91 Posts
Many CRM programs have a similar feature and it is very useful.

That being said, the "problems" described in the beginning of your post could be eliminated with some basic qualifying.

·
ConstructionMarketingPro
154 Posts
Many CRM programs have a similar feature and it is very useful.

That being said, the "problems" described in the beginning of your post could be eliminated with some basic qualifying.
Sure you need to qualify, but even the best qualifying methods don't always result in a solid lead. If there's one thing I've learned in business, it's that there are no guarantees of anything, ever.

·
Sales Connoisseur
91 Posts
Sure you need to qualify, but even the best qualifying methods don't always result in a solid lead. If there's one thing I've learned in business, it's that there are no guarantees of anything, ever.
Anytime you work in an ever-changing environment (such as sales) there are no guarantees. A "perfect" program would take all of the fun out of it!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts