Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't freak out or anything. But all that time you spent building a DIY in-wall USB charger may have been for naught. Of course, you've gained a useful learning experience and potentially gotten a lesson in the dangers of electricity, but you could have simply ordered this TruPower UCS outlet from FastMac, which packs the same two USB charging ports as the DIY outlet, along with two standard power outlets for your other power-hungry devices. Best of all, it only costs the same ten bucks that the DIY option would have set you back, but it looks like it won't start shipping until sometime early next year.
Original engadget article:
http://www.engadget.com/2009/12/05/10-usb-power-outlet-leaves-no-plug-behind/

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
13,091 Posts
It would be nice not have my computer lock up when I click on the link.

Not saying there's anything wrong, but the first link causes my computer to totally lock up.....makes me suspicious.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
13,091 Posts
works fine here, tried it on another browser even.
I don't even use IE, and I got a pop-up saying IE script is eating up my system resources. I had to close everything down twice.

Otherwise, I won't even go into the violations it looks like that contraption creates.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can see this being useful for hotels that have those outlets right up by the desks in the rooms.

·
Registered
563 Posts
So please forgive my lack of gadgetry knowledge...but, why exactly would I even need a receptacle like this??

Is this supposed to eliminate the need for a separate wall wart charger?

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Is this supposed to eliminate the need for a separate wall wart charger?
There are some chargers for electronic devices (iPods, for example) that have a USB plug on the end. It plugs into a 2 prong 'wart' to charge from the wall. Having a receptacle like this would free up the outlet for other uses. Seems like a real specialized plug that would only make sense in a couple of places in a residential setting. (Next to the teenager's bed!)

Motels, on the other hand, could offer it as a 'convenience' service to entice folks. (Not exactly 'bullet point' material' though...)

Mac

1 - 7 of 7 Posts