Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My plumber is finishing up the rough in on my new house, and asked me if there was anything he was missing.....I was looking at the master bath area, and inspiration hit! How about putting in a drain for a urinal, I told him? He thought it was a great idea....so when I got home, I told my wife I was adding a urinal in the master bath.....and the yelling started....:laughing: You will not put a urinal in my bathroom! This isn't a truck stop....and on and on. I told her I was thinking about her, and she wouldn't have to gripe if I left the seat up again....no dice. I put a urinal in a custom home we did several years ago.....she didn't care. She mad eit clear I could go live in the garage before there would be a urinal in our master bath.

So....I was just wondering...anyone have a urinal in the home? How many of you think your wife would let you put one in? :no:

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Well Jo, I don't have one in the house. My wife would probably act like your wife did. IMHO, it's not worth going to war over.

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess we have to do the man thing, and knuckle under.

Awhile back, I actually looked at a new home plan that had his and hers baths on the master....and I thought, what a waste. Now....I don't know. I guess my potential customer had a great idea.....the man's bath had a urinal.

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well Jo, I don't have one in the house. My wife would probably act like your wife did. IMHO, it's not worth going to war over.
No kidding....my wife was not kidding...and it wasn't negotiable. :no:

·
Project Manager
2,642 Posts
My wife and I are currently designing (or modifying a design) for a custom home we are looking at building and the idea of his/hers baths came up.

When going over fixtures for each, she had mentioned a urinal in the his bath, then questioned if it was "against code".

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
A great idea. Once & for all you can prove to your wife that women make more of a mess on the toilet while urinating than men do. I have been in numerous homes where there are no males & the underside of the toilet seat is disgusting. I will disinfect their toilet before I'll change their seat out.
Steve

My plumber is finishing up the rough in on my new house, and asked me if there was anything he was missing.....I was looking at the master bath area, and inspiration hit! How about putting in a drain for a urinal, I told him? He thought it was a great idea....so when I got home, I told my wife I was adding a urinal in the master bath.....and the yelling started....:laughing: You will not put a urinal in my bathroom! This isn't a truck stop....and on and on. I told her I was thinking about her, and she wouldn't have to gripe if I left the seat up again....no dice. I put a urinal in a custom home we did several years ago.....she didn't care. She mad eit clear I could go live in the garage before there would be a urinal in our master bath.

So....I was just wondering...anyone have a urinal in the home? How many of you think your wife would let you put one in? :no:

·
Registered
Design/Build Remodeling
6,590 Posts
My wife and I are currently designing (or modifying a design) for a custom home we are looking at building and the idea of his/hers baths came up.

When going over fixtures for each, she had mentioned a urinal in the his bath, then questioned if it was "against code".
Jo we did one in a whole house remodel a few years back. We did have code issues. Seems that we were not alowed to go to the floor with one (one of those 4 foot Cranes) we had to put a wall mounted unit in.

And did you say "Knuckle under" or "buckel under"? Fight the good fight! Put a poll on the site - we'll support you! You just need some backbone man!

Got to run my wife is calling me! :laughing:

·
General Contractor
3,444 Posts
How about a separate "teens & other strays" bathroom for the boys? You could put in a whole line of urinals.

I once did a very small custom shower for the HO's dog to pee in. I thought it was gross, but it was the wife's idea. The controls were on the wall outside the shower.

·
Chief outhouse engineer
1,418 Posts
I work with a guy who had one in his old house and built a new house last year and put a new urinal in. "Wouldn't live with out it" he said. His wife doesn't seem to mind, but he is the type that it wouldn't matter what she said.

It's not in the master bath, but right inside the back door.

No pun intended.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts