Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts
Grumpy,

O.k. then, I see your selling style and can still help. I have a very large sales team and I'll let you in on a secret nobody else here uses or even knows of that is a tremendous tool. You'll need a laptop (old, new, used doesnt matter) and a digital camera. (there about a hundred bucks if you dont have one). Now, when policing the roof my men take pictures of the trouble spots as well as from accross the street and in front of the house. The digital camera will plug into the laptop and the pictures you have taken will appear on the screen much, much larger than trying to look at them on the little screen on the camera. Very big and very clear.
G.A.F. has a c.d. you can get that will allow you to show the customer every shingle available in your specific area. Now Mr. and Mrs. Jones picks a green, red, blue...30 year 40 year 50 year ect. You will have the picture of their house from the front yard on your laptop screen and with a click of a button the G.A.F. program will put whichever product they have chosen on their house. Right their infront of their eyes. They can then pick and choose different years and colors to see which they like best. Its fun and exciting for the customer. The program allows you to also change the color of the paint on their home as well as trim. It also lets you change stucco to brick with different colors and styles, BUT, the roofing part is enough. THis laptop presentation will secure more closes for you. I compete daily with Home Depot and Lowes as well. They concentrate on financing, and thats what they sell, not roofs. They dont even use this.

If you intention for doing this is still just to get a few under your belt to show off, then the easy way to do this is just sell it by not selling it to a few customers. Just offer them the upgrade at no cost or reduced cost, or whatever it takes. You'll get your roofs to show off and be done with it.

If you want to sell more to sell more, I can't imagine very many people put much consideration into shingle selection for more than three reasons, color, warranty and style. Upselling these shingles seems like it would simply revolve around warranty and style, color might be part of it if the upgraded shingles offer a color not offered in lower priced shingles, but it would be a strange bird who pays the upgrade just for a specific color.

Around here everybodies roofs are paid for by their insurance companies so unless the customer is willing to reach into his pocket, it seems like it will all come down to what the insurance company is willing to pay for anyways.

Another way is to establish "common ground" with the potential customer....

"If you were my mother,(wife,brother,father,etc.) this is what I would recommend."
What do you have on your own home?

What would you put on your own home?

It brings it down to a personal level...

My bids start with Landmark 30's and never bother with a three tab or a 25 year shingle. If the homeowner is looking for a cheap 25 year three tab roof there to cheap to spend money on quality products and labor.

All homeowner get the option of 30's, 40's, the TL's (lifetime's).

Of the 50+ roofs I've installed this year 10 were tear offs, two of which were 40's and two were TL's the rest were Landmark 30's. Of the 40+ new roofs less than five were 30 year 3-tabs, two were TL's the rest were Landmark 30's.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.