Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to lay this kitchen out my wife wants in this new house and having some issues with the wall cabinets. i will have 8ft ceilings in this place and wife wants cabinets as close to ceiling as possible so that they can be topped with crown so i have a couple of questions.

1. is there a standard height for upper cabinets to achieve this with crown?
2. is there a standard height i can figure for crown if i have to make the cabinets a custom height?
3. lot of pictures look like they just lifted 36" tall cabinets height enough to install crown to cover the remaining gap. is this normal way to do it?

here's basically what she wants to do

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
I'd go 42"and have the facing on the top start a bit lower, or have the top piece of the facing 4 or 6" wide or whatever it takes.

I would probably have that top shelf so that it is higher than the opening. In other words, I would have the cabinet to the ceiling, although the top of the door opening might be down 4-6".

·
Registered
13,396 Posts
84-30-36=18. 18 is the standard distance between counter top and bottom of upper cabinet.

36+18=48, you have 48" to play with between the bottom of the upper and the ceiling. 42" tall uppers with a build up to reach the ceiling with the crown is pretty common. You could go with a 30" upper with a 12" top cabinet, then the build up.

Tom

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
84-30-36=18. 18 is the standard distance between counter top and bottom of upper cabinet.

36+18=48, you have 48" to play with between the bottom of the upper and the ceiling. 42" tall uppers with a build up to reach the ceiling with the crown is pretty common. You could go with a 30" upper with a 12" top cabinet, then the build up.

Tom
What??? Must be new math

42" upper will touch the ceiling, I usually use 36" uppers with a 3 pc crown detail. Ceilings are rarely level in the houses I work in

·
The Remodeler
1,536 Posts
What??? Must be new math

42" upper will touch the ceiling, I usually use 36" uppers with a 3 pc crown detail. Ceilings are rarely level in the houses I work in
:laughing:

36 base cab plus 18 backsplash is 54" AFF... Thats about the standard height for uppers to start at...

I've used 39" cabs with inset doors. That leaves 3" for a small crown. If you're going the semi custom-overlay door route, you might have to go with a 36" box, L-shaped filler above, and crown on that.

·
Registered
13,396 Posts
What??? Must be new math

You're correct. It is the 36" he needs. My brain must be fried after the Bear game.

Sorry about that BC.

Tom

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I prefer the 36" uppers with a frieze board and like a 4 1/2" crown. But I've also done 42" cabinets, drop them about 16-17" above base cabinets, and use a very small crown molding.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
I prefer the 36" uppers with a frieze board and like a 4 1/2" crown. But I've also done 42" cabinets, drop them about 16-17" above base cabinets, and use a very small crown molding.
We can't do less than 18" near cooktop/range because it does not meet appliance mfg specs.

I once had to raise already installed cabinets 1/4" to get to 18"

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
rrk said:
We can't do less than 18" near cooktop/range because it does not meet appliance mfg specs.

I once had to raise already installed cabinets 1/4" to get to 18"
Wow that sucks! We usually have a space saver microwave or a range hood over the cooktop/range, so it's never really an issue.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Wow that sucks! We usually have a space saver microwave or a range hood over the cooktop/range, so it's never really an issue.
Its not over the range thats the problem, it's the uppers cabinets next to the range. They usually want 18" clearance up from ctop, and 6" away, some want 9" away. Adjoining cabinets can't be more than 13" deep .

Take a look at mfg specs sometime and see the actual clearances specified, according to our code all appliances must be installed to manufacturers specifications which must be on site at the time of inspection.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
rrk said:
Its not over the range thats the problem, it's the uppers cabinets next to the range. They usually want 18" clearance up from ctop, and 6" away, some want 9" away. Adjoining cabinets can't be more than 13" deep .

Take a look at mfg specs sometime and see the actual clearances specified, according to our code all appliances must be installed to manufacturers specifications which must be on site at the time of inspection.
That's interesting. My jurisdiction, they don't get that critical wit it. Usually I install pantries first, then my wall cabinets to line up the heights all around. Then the bases. Rarely do we go less than 18" clearance, but it has happened.

·
Registered
136 Posts
What rrk is referring to is the required heights when there is a high output gas range or cooktop. I have never seen it as a concern with an electric range or cooktop. The height over the range under the hood is also a factor with high output gas appliances and varies by appliance. For this reason I always tell the customer that they need to pick the appliances before the kitchen design can be completed.
Bill T

·
General Contractor
8,082 Posts
36" upper + filler +crown = typical installation for 8" ceiling if you want to close the space above the upper cabinets.

Some manufacturers like Dynasty by Omega will make a 39" door just for that reason of having a smaller filler to have a more uniform look, I'm sure semi custom shop can also make that if you get the cabinetry from them.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
Better let her know that an 8' lid will end up looking nothing like that picture...

Reactions: Live_oak
1 - 20 of 35 Posts