Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a month ago I used a jackhammer for a half day. Yes, it was dumb; I have a young employee who was supposed to do it but it wasn't going to happen with him so I grabbed it and got it done.

Since then I've had pain in the area of my back right between my shoulder blades. It feels like bone pain rather than muscular. I have never had this pain before. It's constant, rather than spasmodic, and it's tough to get a good night's sleep with it.

Sit-ups and other core exercises do a great job for me on lower back pain. Are there any similar exercises/does anyone have any good advice, for dealing with upper back pain?

Thanks,

Bob

·
Registered
667 Posts
I have both shoulders with issues. At times I get the same as you described. My, Doc said to 1. Stand arms straight out to your sides rotate arms in small circles, forward/backward. 2. Stand arms out again, lift one at a time up then down, repeat. 3. Stand arms straight out in front, lift one up and down, repeat! 4. Stand and grab one arm with the other and pull like you are giving yourself a big hug! LOL But it works! Gotta stretch them "old muscles" out!

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
CarpenterSFO said:
As I get older, I understand better what the folks doing tai chi in the morning are up to.
Yoga would help. Grab yourself a beginners DVD and a mat and do it in the comfort of your own home.

I should take my own advice, too.

·
Super Moderator
27,669 Posts
I should stretch more. Isnt that what yoga and all that stuff is? I honestly dont know anything about it. I thought my wife did yoga, but apparently its pilates. Whatever that is. Lol

·
Registered
797 Posts
Yoga would help. Grab yourself a beginners DVD and a mat and do it in the comfort of your own home.

I should take my own advice, too.
This girl is good for explaining and showing if your new to yoga. And she has ideas to make it easier if, at first, it's hard. I agree that yoga would be fantastic for you. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lj_IzmVda2w

Also, it doesn't hurt to get some body work done. A professional massage now and then is well worth the money. You can tell them that you want your upper back to be worked on and they will concentrate just on that area.

Oh, and make sure you are sleeping with a good pillow. I got one at my chiropractor that is dipped in the middle. http://www.women-health-info.com/686-Neck-shoulder-pain-relief-pillows.html Most of the bulk is under my neck. Ever since I got it, I haven't had neck pain.

·
Registered
797 Posts

·
Registered
12,917 Posts
Young and dumb got old and stupid to operate the jack hammer?:laughing: Who's the smart one?

My wife has chronic back issues, I got her a Teeters Hang-Up for mothers day. I've used it a few times and it has helped relieve my old age aches. It has helped her back much more than mine.

She decided she wanted the Teeter after she tried one in a store and it gave her instant relief.

Tom

·
Drywall Slave
9,441 Posts
REST! REST! Don't push It! :no: You don't need a torn muscle!

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Young and dumb got old and stupid to operate the jack hammer?:laughing: Who's the smart one?

My wife has chronic back issues, I got her a Teeters Hang-Up for mothers day. I've used it a few times and it has helped relieve my old age aches. It has helped her back much more than mine.

She decided she wanted the Teeter after she tried one in a store and it gave her instant relief.

Tom
When I was young and dumb I thought operating a jack hammer was fun.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Between the rows suggested by John and a neck/back relaxation trick from Griz my back is feeling much better. Thanks for the help everyone.

-Bob

·
Registered
Remodel
29,620 Posts
1 - 20 of 39 Posts