Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Got a call for a roof job and promptly met with the HO, on Wednesday. He's building an addition but, doesn't want to deal with roofing it. He says they'll have the plywood down by the end of the day Thurs, would I be able to roof it Friday? Well, I'm finishing up another job but, could start on Monday. That night I put together my bid, $2500 and change. Felt pretty confident with the price.

Next day I hand him the bid. He unfolds the bid just enough to see the price and shoves it back to me. No, that's too high, that's way too high. I'm speechless, what a rude a-hole. I cut off of another job to look at this one, bid it promptly and reasonably, cut off from a job again to drop off the bid, agree to squeeze the job in last minute and he can't even take ten seconds to read it over. After the feeling of being slapped passes, I ask him what better price he has gotten. So and so, up the road said that he would do it for $800 and he can do it in a day, by himself. Wow, I can't believe it. This guy's either an incredible roofer or he's cuttin' some corners. HO says no, he'll do the job right. I ask if he warranties the work and is insured? HO ignores the question. I decide there's no point asking about the details of how this guy is going to do the job or trying to sell myself, cause now I don't want the job anymore. If I know this guy was such a jerk, I would have added another $1000 to the bid.

Just needed to vent, Worm

·
Service & Repairs
4,001 Posts
If the other guys doing it for $800 he's not a great roofer, he's a greater moron. This HO will get what he's paying for. You'll be happy later when your name is spared from having anything to do with this horrible remodeling job. Addition by subtraction.

·
Banned
306 Posts
Funniest part is, he received a bid for a third of the your price, and he's still shopping. I'd be shaking my head all the way home.

He'll probably complain about the quality, after its done. Even if the poor guy banging the shingles on does a decent job.

·
The Duke
14,746 Posts
He's just trying to dicker you down. You need to learn to relax in these moments and not let it bother you. At this moment where you hand him the bid, you are a salesman. If you don't have the nerve for it, then I'd suggest hiring someone else to do it for you.

Don't take it so personal. He's not saying no to you, just your bid. Have something else to come back with besides "well what's this guy got I don't?"

Never argue about someone else. You will lose.

Always sell you.

·
The Deck Guy
3,126 Posts
I think I can build a shed for that much!!:laughing:
I know...there was a little more to it than shingles, but it's one of those jobs that if I'm going to take time out of the schedule to do, it has to be worth my while.

They are existing customers so they know what they are getting.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
His attitude was what really ticked me off. I mean, I've been underbid before, that's not a big deal. Normally I would say, let's sit down and compare the bids, just to make sure we're comparing apples to apples. Is this guy toothing in the old roof or just overlapping new shingles on to the existing roof, weather guard, ridge vent, ect. I had it all spelled out in the bid and he wouldn't even take the time to read it. By his comment that, so and so said he would do it for $800, I think the other guy just gave him as verbal. If I wasn't so busy, I would have taken a six pack and lawn chair up there on Friday, just to watch the show. And if he calls me to fix a leak, my price is still the same, plus another $1000 to strip the roof.

·
Registered
17,271 Posts
i just had a ho ask me to rewrap 3 porch post that the last sider wraped over pt 4x4 and it was corroding at the bottom
i told him 450$ you should have seen his face he looked at me like i was a crook lol

·
Registered
7,181 Posts
Worm Drive, the best thing that happened to you was you walking away from that job. Whenever that happens to me (which seems to be a lot this year) I just hand them my card and say good luck. If that is the H.O attitude, the 2500 most likely would not have been worth the headache this guy wouldve given you.

What was the size anyway?

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Got a call for a roof job and promptly met with the HO, on Wednesday. He's building an addition but, doesn't want to deal with roofing it. He says they'll have the plywood down by the end of the day Thurs, would I be able to roof it Friday? Well, I'm finishing up another job but, could start on Monday. That night I put together my bid, $2500 and change. Felt pretty confident with the price.

Next day I hand him the bid. He unfolds the bid just enough to see the price and shoves it back to me. No, that's too high, that's way too high. I'm speechless, what a rude a-hole. I cut off of another job to look at this one, bid it promptly and reasonably, cut off from a job again to drop off the bid, agree to squeeze the job in last minute and he can't even take ten seconds to read it over. After the feeling of being slapped passes, I ask him what better price he has gotten. So and so, up the road said that he would do it for $800 and he can do it in a day, by himself. Wow, I can't believe it. This guy's either an incredible roofer or he's cuttin' some corners. HO says no, he'll do the job right. I ask if he warranties the work and is insured? HO ignores the question. I decide there's no point asking about the details of how this guy is going to do the job or trying to sell myself, cause now I don't want the job anymore. If I know this guy was such a jerk, I would have added another $1000 to the bid.

Just needed to vent, Worm
This guy is an azzhole. I wouldn't have left him my card either. It would just be a guess, but I'm guessing he was an azzhole before the economic down turn and will remain an azzhole after it turns around. I wouldn't waste anymore time or energy being pissed about it.:no:

Reactions: bwalley

·
Dave from Macatawa
277 Posts
Worm, just a comment on sequence. You are the sales person and you said that you never got a chance to explain your quote. That is because you started with the price.

Next time you are selling, sell first and price last. At least give yourself a chance to sell the owner on everything you are going to do and then give the price. Look at all the infomercials, price is the last thing given.

Probably would not have made a difference with this HO but just for future reference

1 - 18 of 18 Posts