Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Small peanuts
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hello guys,

i have a client that would like me to build a small wall behind an existing small wall to make more room for the above patio area where his rear sliding doors are. rear yard slopes down where the rear sliding doors are. the plan is to leave the old wall in but will be removing the upper 2-3 courses so that it remains as a retaining wall. the wall height is 36 inches or so. the wall is made of 6w x 4h x 16L block. the new wall will be the same size block it will just be 3ft further away from existing wall. my biggest issue is i like to be as legit as can be to cover myself against any liability but client for some reason does does does not want this retaining wall to be permitted. client claims its a hassel and cost time in which i agree, regardless they want me to build it without a permit. surely we can all sit here and take guesses as why they are so against a permit. the question remains how can i do this while accomodating them. they seem to be very stand up type people. and do not beleive they are trying to be shady at all. almost forgot, the plan would be to fill behind wall with a couple of yards of fill dirt and will have proper drainage and will be fully reinforced in fact overly reinforced. will post pics if needed. thanks fellas.

ps contractor friend of mine says i should just build it with no contract and get paid cash only

i posted 2 pics to my album but cant figure out how to post them here.

·
General Contractor
8,051 Posts
CT is for professional contractors...If you a contractor like you say you're...you should know better then do work without permits or even ask something like this in here and expect someone to tell you its ok to do work without permit. :censored:

·
Super Moderator
24,487 Posts
If you are properly licensed you will be violating the law by not getting a permit. You may find some engineering may be involved & the job evolving into more than the HO's envisioned. If you do the job without the permit you run the risk of getting caught and facing the fines & extra scrutiny from inspectors. Inspectors are driving around now days just looking for violations. Then add nosy/pissed off neighbors & compliance officers in larger areas and on and on. Do it right or don't do it.

·
Thom
4,137 Posts
There is a reason that engineering and permits are required on retaining walls. There are things you don't know that can hurt someone.

·
DavidC
2,550 Posts
Well your client is right, getting permits can be a hassle and certainly adds to the cost of the project. The real benefit to them is giving them a handy peg to hang you on later when things turn south. Combine that with your friends advice to build without a contract for cash only and you will have quite a list of violations.

Should things actually turn out contrary to your plan it will be you that will be held as the "professional" that should have known that you needed a permit, should have had an engineer design the wall, skirted the necessary inspections, knew better than to work without a contract and not reporting the income. Do we add that you're endangering your license or assume you're not?

Do you feel lucky today?

Good Luck
Dave

·
Small peanuts
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
wow such strong responses you all are like a bunch of longshoremen. but youre all absolutely right. liability. my contractor friend that suggested the cash idea is a full fledged contractor. very successful at that. perhaps we are tempted once in a while to accomodate clients. and he is not the original poster, i am.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts