Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best way to keep records of your jobs and tools bought? Just looking for ideas. Thanks
Abbott's Painting

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I stick the reciepts in a file folder named 'tools'.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
What are you going to want to do with them? What I mean is are you talking about keeping records of what you paid for a tool for tax purposes, or records for warranties or something else? If it is for taxes, they just need to be recorded in your accounting software to either be written off or depreciated. I guess regarding jobs falls under the same question, are you talking about for accounting purposes, or marketing purposes, looking back for job costing?

·
Deck Designer/Builder
2,430 Posts
Aside from keeping the receipts in a file folder for each year, I list everything in an excel sheet that I made up. The excel sheet just makes it easier for me to find and keep track of everything.

·
Back from the dead...
6,646 Posts
I will also add that I use an excel spreadsheet with all my expenses for the business, mainly sundry items like sandpaper, thinner, rags, tape, etc. that can't be tied to a specific job, but we use them all year long. This way I can see month to month or week to week how much we spend on sundries and supplies, and it helps me figure/adjust my overhead for jobs.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I set up an Excel sheet once and found that I didn't do the data entry because it took too much time everyday. I put all of the reciepts in a file and add them up every month, my budget is not so tight that I have to be anal as to where every penny is spent.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Try using Quickbooks Pro Contractor. You can not only track jobs, but you can track spending for each job as well. Or Quicken Professional. Does much of the same, but is not as good

·
Deck Designer/Builder
2,430 Posts
Teetor, I think the whole idea of the excel sheet is relative to the size of your business, volume of jobs etc. In my case, it worked the best for me because I was part-time in '04 and did everything myself. Hopefully, things will take off for me in '05 and the excel sheet will have outlived it's usefulness.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Hire/Marry a secretary. Even if you hire someone for 1 day a week, do it. Honestly, if you want to grow you will eventually need someone who is going to keep track of all the paperwork you're going to generate. It will get you out in the field making money by selling and completing projects. You don't make a dime from filing.

Tim

1 - 11 of 11 Posts