Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently started working for a contractor in New Jersey. What good construction books can you guys recommend? Also is there universal building code?

·
Super Moderator
11,969 Posts
Also is there universal building code?
No

There are some code books that a jurisdiction will adopt, but they add local amendments. Multiply this by each individual trade and that's what it is now. In a recent simple basement job I have actually spent more time researching the AHJ's rules than I spent on the job actually working.

We are doing a similar project on the other side of a major street (3 minutes away) and the the requirements are completely different.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I read a book called contractor survival guide once. It was pretty good.

And yes there kinda is an universal code but it called international building codes. Pay attention to your local codes though.

·
Super Moderator
11,969 Posts
No

There are some code books that a jurisdiction will adopt, but they add local amendments. Multiply this by each individual trade and that's what it is now. In a recent simple basement job I have actually spent more time researching the AHJ's rules than I spent on the job actually physically working on this particular project.

We are doing a similar project on the other side of a major street (3 minutes away) and the the requirements are completely different.
Dig in and start reading.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
The New Jersey codes, including the Building Code and the Residential Code are both on-line. If you read the preface to each of them you'll understand what they're for. You can buy them in paper format, too.

The JLC framing manual isn't bad. For an overview of all sorts of construction methods, "Fundamentals of Building Construction" is pretty good.

Individual trades have different books, some good, some bad, some hated by pros. You could ask in individual forums.

·
Sean
5,534 Posts
I would definitely go with C-SFO & check out what they have on-line
The original base one is available here: http://publicecodes.cyberregs.com/icod/index.htm if you know what section you want to look up. Personally I buy the PDF versions as I can search by term or word from the iccsafe.org site & generally have my laptop with me.
Now here is one big catch, it really doesn't matter what they list or show as it is up to the code official to determine what the code means & New Jersey does have some doozies so it might be worthwhile talking to the inspector about what they are looking for. For one example I know some that say that the bathroom fan venting must slope back towards the bath instead of the outside which is contrary to code & the manufacturers directions.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts