Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys

I'm having a few questions here in regards to unions and hopefully some of you have some experience and feedback.

I was given a referal by a friend to do a small installation job. Yesterday evening I installed a wall-mount and tv for this couple in their living room. No biggie, I do these all the time. Getting to talking to the husband he is screening me and he tells me he is a tradesman himself. Why am I installing his tv I says to myself. We start talking about work and business and I mentioned what kind of project I am working on. Right now I am contracted by a builder/developer as his site handyman.

The guy I am working with has a small crew of 2 people and his super. So he's brought me on, to give a push as they do different jobs during the construction and then deficiencies when the building construction is done. Once their new site opens up I am going there to start building ground up. Right now I am working in a low rise building, 7 level condo.

The husband knows the company and the builder. He later tells me he knows me but will wait until I am done to tell me how. I tell him well you know so and so and they are good friends. He didn't know I knew them which is strange.

To cut to the chase at the end he tells me he is a union reprentative and he met on the job months ago. I just started within the past month and a half, so wasn't me. However he knows the guys on the crew as he is telling me I know it's not bs. He's been trying to get them to go union but they won't.

His comments that's I won't forget are "I am going to go after them with all that I got, and will get them to go union"

Now I am just worried because he was trying to get me to sign up with him, saying he can get me all these jobs etc...

However my concerns are what can happen if this guy goes after the company I am contracted by? What can happen to my business? How will this effect me?

·
Talking Head
5,388 Posts
I don't know anything about Canadian unions but, in the US, I doubt he would really spend that much effort trying to bring on a 4 person company. Even if he did it's not very likely he will succeed. Most of the companies that I have seen go union either have a serious disconnect between the owner and the guys doing the work or the owner does it to get hooked up with the union work.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
renov8r said:
Hey guys I'm having a few questions here in regards to unions and hopefully some of you have some experience and feedback. I was given a referal by a friend to do a small installation job. Yesterday evening I installed a wall-mount and tv for this couple in their living room. No biggie, I do these all the time. Getting to talking to the husband he is screening me and he tells me he is a tradesman himself. Why am I installing his tv I says to myself. We start talking about work and business and I mentioned what kind of project I am working on. Right now I am contracted by a builder/developer as his site handyman. The guy I am working with has a small crew of 2 people and his super. So he's brought me on, to give a push as they do different jobs during the construction and then deficiencies when the building construction is done. Once their new site opens up I am going there to start building ground up. Right now I am working in a low rise building, 7 level condo. The husband knows the company and the builder. He later tells me he knows me but will wait until I am done to tell me how. I tell him well you know so and so and they are good friends. He didn't know I knew them which is strange. To cut to the chase at the end he tells me he is a union reprentative and he met on the job months ago. I just started within the past month and a half, so wasn't me. However he knows the guys on the crew as he is telling me I know it's not bs. He's been trying to get them to go union but they won't. His comments that's I won't forget are "I am going to go after them with all that I got, and will get them to go union" Now I am just worried because he was trying to get me to sign up with him, saying he can get me all these jobs etc... However my concerns are what can happen if this guy goes after the company I am contracted by? What can happen to my business? How will this effect me?
What I think he means by "going after them hard" is that he's going to drop by the site, blow up their phones, and just become a royal pain in the rear end until they either sign on, or tell him loudly enough to pound sand.

Does the guy you're working for do lots of commercial building? Does he do large-scale jobs?

If he's a small builder, doing mainly residential, I can't really see it being worthwhile for him to sign on.

And as far as the "getting you all kinds of jobs"... Believe only half of what you see.

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
His comments that's I won't forget are "I am going to go after them with all that I got, and will get them to go union"
However my concerns are what can happen if this guy goes after the company I am contracted by? What can happen to my business? How will this effect me?
Typical union thug/dirtbag/vermin.
Depending upon where thug is in the union thug-archy and/or any favors doled out the the higher up thugs, they could:
A. Hire non union low wage kids or illegals (I know canada doesn't have them) to picket you.
B. Hire non union low wage kids or illegals (I know canada doesn't have them) to picket the business you're working for.
C. Go to the place you're working and throw nails aboot, then start spreading the word that unions aren't that messy.
D. Vandalize non union work trucks.
E. Do ongoing damage to the business that's using non union labor (and hint that it'll stop if they stop using non-union workers).

Or, any and all of the above. Or none. As long as the threat has been made, sometimes that's enough to get businesses/individuals to submit.
I mean....what's the reason for this subject again?......

Reactions: griz

·
I'm a Mac
5,487 Posts
Relax

They have been to my sites, tried to get my guys unionized, I've 2 guys who use to work union, they call them after hours, during regular hours, different times. My guys don't want it.

They even went so far as to tell my guys they had there hooks into me!!

Pickle and I even attended their Christmas party one year, good food I might add. I even called the rep a few weeks back and said I wanted to bid a job but it was union...could he tell me who I had to pay off in order to the work.

So unless you guys want it or the company owner wants it...relax.

Doesn't sound like the company you are working for is big enough to make an impact on them, but at the same time there is a union in the north end of the city who signs up pretty much every Tom, Dick and Harry...how do I know? Cause I get more applicants stating a certain union but no work.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What I think he means by "going after them hard" is that he's going to drop by the site, blow up their phones, and just become a royal pain in the rear end until they either sign on, or tell him loudly enough to pound sand.

Does the guy you're working for do lots of commercial building? Does he do large-scale jobs?

If he's a small builder, doing mainly residential, I can't really see it being worthwhile for him to sign on.

And as far as the "getting you all kinds of jobs"... Believe only half of what you see.
The builder/developer that I am working for does both commercial and residential.

In the residential side he is a small builder at the moment from my understanding. On his company website and some of the work projects I've seen of his, its small. Like a row of like 10 town-houses. Right behind the building I'm working on he has two houses, that are condo town houses that have 5 units in each. This is just to give an idea of what small size he is on.

For his commercial side, he buys and develops a lot of land. I don't know how much building he owns at the moment. What I do know is some of the building he puts on the land are his and he rents them out and others he just does the build. His website only shows a few, probably ones within the past 5 years.

One thing the union fella mentioned is they are not as small as I think they are. I don't believe they are a small company as I don't believe in 20 years they only have done only a handful of projects.

I never believe any one who says they can get me tons of work. Well only this builder I am with now, because I know whats coming in the near future. However, most of the time they say it because they think they can or just to sucker you in.

As for what he is going to try to do. I don't know it kind of worries me because of the way he was talking about getting the builder unionized. In the long run I am just scared this is going to come back to me, plus somehow affect my business as well.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Relax

They have been to my sites, tried to get my guys unionized, I've 2 guys who use to work union, they call them after hours, during regular hours, different times. My guys don't want it.

They even went so far as to tell my guys they had there hooks into me!!

Pickle and I even attended their Christmas party one year, good food I might add. I even called the rep a few weeks back and said I wanted to bid a job but it was union...could he tell me who I had to pay off in order to the work.

So unless you guys want it or the company owner wants it...relax.

Doesn't sound like the company you are working for is big enough to make an impact on them, but at the same time there is a union in the north end of the city who signs up pretty much every Tom, Dick and Harry...how do I know? Cause I get more applicants stating a certain union but no work.
183 picks up any one and everyone, you see those sweaters on everybody.

Company I am working with uses pure sub-contractors. Some of their sub's are unionized. The owners crew, like I said is 2 man crew, does everything the subs want to much money for. Right now we are a 5 man crew. Builders 2 guys, plus me and my helper and my sub. I don't want it because, well as nice as it is, there are union fees plus the unions gets in the way of many things. Basically I find they always try to ruin things for good working people/

However its good to have some re-assurance from someone in the same city.

The guy is a rep for local 27 and the drywall/tapers union. The office is on row tree derry, up in hwy7 & weston area.

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
One thing the union fella mentioned is they are not as small as I think they are.
Translation: "he's got money we can get and give you a little".
What difference does it make how big or small someone's employer is? If the company treats you good and pays you accordingly, then great. If not, then leave to find a better job.

As for what he is going to try to do. I don't know it kind of worries me because of the way he was talking about getting the builder unionized. In the long run I am just scared this is going to come back to me, plus somehow affect my business as well.
Sorry you have to experience the thuggery/terrorism of unions.
The union slob was probably just running his mouth, but they can do that as they have a well financed and organized gang backing him.
Just go about your business as a respectable, professional tradesman. Pay attention to things though and mention it to the person you work for. If problems start to develop in any work that you have done, take pictures of each job before and after to cya. ;)

·
I'm a Mac
5,487 Posts
So your a sub...ha, so in reality if they somehow unionize this company...you have no work with him anymore!!!

Just ask when the Christmas party is, tell him you can discuss then...the roast beef was really good

·
Artist and not a curator
14,245 Posts
Don't take this wrong but you seem to have more problems than most that are a 1-2 man company. I think Chris had a good point... Chill.

As small a company you are (I am now too for this very reason) the only things that should bother you are the things you allow to bother you, I.e. Bad salesmen, poor lumber quality, etc. Black clouds follow those who look for them.

·
Kowboy
2,453 Posts
Your wages and benefits will rise, you will enjoy paid holidays, overtime, and a pension. You'll be more likely to return to your family without injury. Small stuff.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Company I am working with uses pure sub-contractors. Some of their sub's are unionized. The owners crew, like I said is 2 man crew, does everything the subs want to much money for. Right now we are a 5 man crew. Builders 2 guys, plus me and my helper and my sub.
Doesn't sound like your set up would be legal in the US, and I doubt it's legal in Canada as well

·
Registered
4 Posts
Free cookouts also.

And when it's all done you will have a decent pension,Retiree affairs,free,along with subsidized medicare, really cheap fishing trips and memories of working with a bunch of well paid craftsman that call each other brother and mean it.And
oh and we all were legal citizens.
Every once in a while you may be called on to join a 12' tall rat :eek: to persuade some future brothers to see the way and join you.:clap:

·
Registered
102 Posts
CO762 said:
Typical union thug/dirtbag/vermin.
Depending upon where thug is in the union thug-archy and/or any favors doled out the the higher up thugs, they could:
A. Hire non union low wage kids or illegals (I know canada doesn't have them) to picket you.
B. Hire non union low wage kids or illegals (I know canada doesn't have them) to picket the business you're working for.
C. Go to the place you're working and throw nails aboot, then start spreading the word that unions aren't that messy.
D. Vandalize non union work trucks.
E. Do ongoing damage to the business that's using non union labor (and hint that it'll stop if they stop using non-union workers).

Or, any and all of the above. Or none. As long as the threat has been made, sometimes that's enough to get businesses/individuals to submit.
I mean....what's the reason for this subject again?......
Spreading lies wont help you mate.
The picket lines are hired hands from the unions unemployment list. As for physical damage to property i would assume lawsuits would have killed the unions long ago if it were true. Someone was bitching about paying dues which are around $20 a month for a pension, med insurance, dental, vac pay, training, etc so are you really going to ***** over those $20?

·
Forming and Framing
6,273 Posts
Hey guys

I'm having a few questions here in regards to unions and hopefully some of you have some experience and feedback.

I was given a referal by a friend to do a small installation job. Yesterday evening I installed a wall-mount and tv for this couple in their living room. No biggie, I do these all the time. Getting to talking to the husband he is screening me and he tells me he is a tradesman himself. Why am I installing his tv I says to myself. We start talking about work and business and I mentioned what kind of project I am working on. Right now I am contracted by a builder/developer as his site handyman.

The guy I am working with has a small crew of 2 people and his super. So he's brought me on, to give a push as they do different jobs during the construction and then deficiencies when the building construction is done. Once their new site opens up I am going there to start building ground up. Right now I am working in a low rise building, 7 level condo.

The husband knows the company and the builder. He later tells me he knows me but will wait until I am done to tell me how. I tell him well you know so and so and they are good friends. He didn't know I knew them which is strange.

To cut to the chase at the end he tells me he is a union reprentative and he met on the job months ago. I just started within the past month and a half, so wasn't me. However he knows the guys on the crew as he is telling me I know it's not bs. He's been trying to get them to go union but they won't.

Now I am just worried because he was trying to get me to sign up with him, saying he can get me all these jobs etc...

Local 27 or 183?
Yea the Christmas party was sweet. The running joke was, every time someone got on the mic to make an announcement that they were going to say "excuse me, would the 2 non union carpenters please exit the building." :rolleyes: Funnier in person

1 - 20 of 107 Posts