Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys think about Union guys doing sidework on the weekends and when their laid off? Im in the masonry business and alot of Union guys seem to "take" work away from normal smaller businesses like myself. They get about 10-12 people and pound a nice size housefront out in a weekend for cash,where it would normally take my crew of me, another mason, and a tender about a week and half to two to do the job. Now I know they arent supposed to do this under Union regulations and I was wondering if it would be inappropriate of me to contact someone and report them? After they are taking work away from me and my guys and going against regulation. I dont personally know any of these guys, but I know they do it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'd leve them alone. They're just trying to make a buck or two just like the rest of us. Now if their work was sub-standard, going to the union as well as normal channels might not be a bad idea.

Go with the flow, out of work union guys are handy when you have a deadline to meet.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Are they doing it cheaper than you? If so then the issue was price. The homeowner or contractor would have used someone else anyway.
Union doesnt necesarly mean quality.

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
That crap pi$$es me off. When I was a Union contractor my fellas did that $hit all the time, but yet I couldn't even consider a non union bid, even if it wasn't the same trade. I employed 11 carps and 3 laborers. After I fired the Union, man they hated me, burnt my 4x4 up like a DUI commercial. Everytime the phone rang I thought I'd been cast for horror flic. I don't do guns, but that's one of the times in my life I had to carry.

I never had any problems out of any other halls, just this one. They've closed her up now. Wonder why???

Bob

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
soxfan said:
I'd leve them alone. They're just trying to make a buck or two just like the rest of us. Now if their work was sub-standard, going to the union as well as normal channels might not be a bad idea.

Go with the flow, out of work union guys are handy when you have a deadline to meet.
No they dont do it cheaper. The GC's just know it will be done in a weekend. And as far as them trying to make a buck or two I think getting paid $30 an hour is making descent money. Why do they have to take work away from the mason companies who try to do things the legal way on the books?

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
6stringmason said:
Now I know they arent supposed to do this under Union regulations and I was wondering if it would be inappropriate of me to contact someone and report them?
Personally, - - I don't feel there's anything 'inappropriate' about it.

You've got a family to feed and you are working LEGITIMATELY!!

Their 'extra' money is coming out of your 'required' money.

A 'statement' needs to be made.

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
ProWallGuy said:
I work in a very tough union city.
Let me ask you this:
If you were working on their union jobsite, would they raise a fuss and picket you?
If so, then you know what to do.
Now that's as 'crystal-clear' as it gets!!

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
ProWallGuy said:
I work in a very tough union city.
Let me ask you this:
If you were working on their union jobsite, would they raise a fuss and picket you?
If so, then you know what to do.
Run them over?:jester:

Bob

·
DGR,IABD
9,683 Posts
I fully support a man's right to earn money by any legal means, without regard to his affiliation or lack or affiliation with any labor union. There is nothing illegal, immoral, or unethical with what these union men are doing. They're simply smarter than you if they've managed to get work you thought should have been yours. Nobody owes you (or them) any particular piece of work. Everyone needs to go out and get their own work with the means and skills they have at hand.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
I have really no side in this but...

mdshunk said:
There is nothing illegal, immoral, or unethical with what these union men are doing. They're simply smarter than you if they've managed to get work you thought should have been yours. Nobody owes you (or them) any particular piece of work.
Who's insurance and WC are these guys operating under when they show up over the weekend to do this? I don't know if it follows them personally from the union or not so I am asking, but if it doesn't that pretty much seems like a clear cut example of them being no different then some loser contractor that operates out of the back of his truck with no insurance or WC overhead or using cheap illegals for labor and is able to under cut everybodies prices because they don't have the same overhead. If that scenario is true they do nothing but hurt every single legitimate contractor by pulling down the living wage, resulting in legitimate contractors having to work more hours to make a living and more years towards retirement.

Further, I have no love for Unions, and I am betting without a doubt if a non-union contractor came in on a job site and put them out of a job they would be the first to scream bloody murder.

·
DGR,IABD
9,683 Posts
This is an age old problem that has always existed, and will continue to exist into the unknown future. If guys are working without WC or GL insurance, then they are working illegally. Simple as that. That said, many of my former union brothers did have WC and GL policies and contractor's licenses so that a group of them could "team up" as a pseudo-company during the times on the bench at the hall. The union didn't exactly like it, but it kept many guys from jumping ship with the union to go to work for one of the more stable non-union contractors or going out on their own.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
mdshunk said:
This is an age old problem that has always existed, and will continue to exist into the unknown future. If guys are working without WC or GL insurance, then they are working illegally. Simple as that. That said, many of my former union brothers did have WC and GL policies and contractor's licenses so that a group of them could "team up" as a pseudo-company during the times on the bench at the hall. The union didn't exactly like it, but it kept many guys from jumping ship with the union to go to work for one of the more stable non-union contractors or going out on their own.
If that is the case I don't see any problem with it. But it is an interesting phenomenon how these guys want to be in a union, believe in their union and want their union to protect them when they need it, but then jump ship and shed their loyalty to it all for a weekend job.:eek:

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
Mike Finley said:
If that is the case I don't see any problem with it. But it is an interesting phenomenon how these guys want to be in a union, believe in their union and want their union to protect them when they need it, but then jump ship and shed their loyalty to it all for a weekend job.:eek:
And/or require their employers to abide buy different rules under the same circumstances.

Bob

·
DGR,IABD
9,683 Posts
Who says that you can't have your cake and eat it too? Some people try very hard to do just that. Some are successful, some are not. Yes, they do operate under a double standard when they're doing side work. There is a union power company lineman in my area that is doing service upgrades on the weekends with the power company's bucket truck. I'm plenty busy, and always have been, so it doesn't bother me. The fact that he's using a company truck does irk me, but I'm not the power company police.

·
Deck Designer/Builder
2,430 Posts
Mike Finley said:
Can somebody stop the firemen from doing this also?
I don't know that fireman fall under the same category as the union workers being discused in this forum.

My cousin is a firefighter and helps me out off and on throughout the season. He's one hell of a hard worker and one guy I don't have to supervise. His Dad and mine were brothers so we were brought up pretty much the same way. Our work ethic is the same and I never have to worry about him not doing something "my" way.

Just my $0.02.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The local brickworkers union says you're not supposed to do any work other than union work. So regardless of having Ins. and WC they are still breaking an oath they take in the union when sworn in. Not too mention I've heard from other masons that know some of the guys that do the work that they do it for cash. Not only is it the union guys fault but its also the GC's fault. And Im surprised MD. Usually when I read your posts your all about doing it by the book. I would've thought you would be one to say they are in the wrong. Even if they have ins and WC.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts