Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, I have had Uniclick installed by a company that did not carry Pergo. They said that Uniclick was much better than pergo, anyways.Much more durable and even easier to clean. I had Pergo installed in my entire previous house (regular Pergo...nothing special) and loved it...so easy to clean, never scratched. I could lightly spray water on it everyday and run the swiffer and I would be done. I have 3 kids and 2 dogs...Pergo was great.

Uniclick, on the other hand, is the worst thing that has ever happened to me. I had it installed in every room on the main level of my home. There is NOWAY and NOTHING that can clean this stuff. It is the equivelant of 35 year old roll out tile that has no laminate. I literally have tried "goo gone" to clean certain areas. And scratches everywhere! I movwd a very light chair down my foyer and tou can see where it was scratched or scraped to show how much dirt is on this floor. PLEASE HELP! This was supposed to make my life easier, now I am constantly trying to come up with new solutions to clean this floor that I paid $7000 for. I have only had it for 5 months. Can anyone help? I have even tried the cleaner made for uniclick.

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
first off, uniclick is a design, not a company.
Did you buy Quickstep?
Quickstep uses and invented uniclick, but other companies bought the right to produce a tounge and groove just like it, but that does not mean the laminate is high end at all.
Quickstep is a really high end manufacturer, but they make builder grade quality just like everyone else.

2 things could be going on here,

first, it could be you had high end Pergo, and now you have builder grade whatever. if that's the case, then you were missold when you bought the product, or were miseducated by whoever on the quiality you were buying compared to the rest of the industry.

second, it could be that these harsh abrasive cleaners you have used have ruined the lam.
nothing but amonia and water, or lam floor cleaner, or just plain water should be used.
the finish on laminate is very durable unless it comes in contact with some chemicals.

It would be interesting to find out EXACTLY what you bought.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Well, the company that has installed it is coming out to look at it.I know for sure that the pergo I had before was just regular...not high end. I always would use just water, at first until I got hidious buildup. I use the swiffer wet jet which is safe for laminate, mop and Glow, etc. I haven't used anything harsh. It just looks awful...so scratched up and dirt that I would have to literally scrape off. I just dont understand. We don't allow shoes inside and I have two big dogs but they really do nothing but be lazy and sleep all day. I am going to buy a piece of the original Pergo and have them bring the sample they showed me and compare allthree.I'm not looking for an indestructable floor...I know that there is no such thing, but this is ridiculous. I WAS uneducated about the product...and i will admit that could be partially my fault, I know I should have done my homework. The guy knew I had the original pergo brand, and he told me "uniclick"was even better. I didn't know that Uniclick was not the name of the manufacturer. Quickstep was never mentioned. I guess a big question to you is: am I expecting too much out of this floor? It has no lustre, it is more difficult to clean than the 30 year old tile I had before. It's almost like there is NO laminate on it. Do I have a reasonable arguement here?

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
Well, it is interesting.

but to be sure, I would need to know what you bought.

Uniclick is a good tight joint if manufactured by Quickstep, but your problems have nothing to do with that.

do you know exactly what you bought?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Another unscrupulous retailer not taking the time to educate his customers.

Don

·
Registered
1 Posts
tifcon6

hi ,a comment on your uniclick,never use wet jet ,vinegar is a acid, use laminate cleaner,we are endorsed by pergo and high end select is #1 ,uniclick is a nice product,wonder if there was a problem when it was made or wet jet ??have seen it do things to vinyl and grout on tile ,never use anything with a wax and i believe that pledge wipes have a wax , hope this helps you , did you get a inspector to see what the problem was?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts