Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. This is my first post.
I'm having some problems with my new
Exposed agg driveway. I got it done around 6
Weeks ago. Everything looked ok. I paid
The concreter. He Asked if I wanted a
Coat of seal. So I agreed. Here's where
The problems start. After he applied the
Coat it came up really patchy and uneven.
I asked him about it and he says let it
Cure for a few weeks. So I wait a few
Weeks and it still looks like ****. So I
Ring him and he says it needs another
Coat of seal and it will all look fine.
So another coat is applied and it looks
Better but still patchy. I try getting a hold
Of him and nothing. Can't get him back.
So I've called a few other concreters
To come and have a look. One says
It needs to be acid washed then resealed.
Says he will do it. Never showed up.
So I got another bloke. He says the
Concreter washed it at different levels
And it's impossible to fix. Needs to be
Ripped up and redone. Said can't be
Sandblasted it will only remove the
Stones on top.
I didn't like the Sound of that so I got
another bloke Around. He agrees that
it was washed unevenly and says it
needs to be sandblasted And
that will fix it.

I honestly have no idea who to believe.
I'm getting very stressed over it. It's
A new house I've just built and I want
Everything to look good. Does anyone
Know how to fix it? Will sandblast work?
I've tried hydrochloric acid but it won't
Penetrate the sealer.

Pleas anyone any help would be great!

·
Registered
414 Posts
I know it's a new house and your expecting everything to be perfect but I'd say give it some time and let the weather and usage help blend it. I could see sandblasting opening up another can of worms. From the pics I don't think it looks to bad at all but they are only pictures

·
Renaissance Man
6,818 Posts
Looks like pea gravel 3/8" so sandblasting would be quite risky in my opinion. You'd loosen up stones and have yet another problem.

Find out which sealer he used,...might have used a cure and seal product which does temporarily screw around with the color.

Overall, pics don't look too bad.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
I'm not much help here, unless there's something more than what I'm seeing in the pictures, I think it looks fine. I certainly wouldn't tear it out, like one of your contractors suggested...

·
Registered
502 Posts
Colors would make sharp terrazzo? I know enough about concrete to pour it in block cells, other than that I stray away. JDK?

·
Registered
686 Posts
If that's 'really patchy', then all I can say is that you blokes must be getting some awfully good work......;)

Yeah, once it's sealed, it's awfully tough to fix any underlying problems, but honestly, it looks pretty good.......

It is funny to hear all the different guys giving you all the different answers, but that's masonry......no one said "it looks pretty good" ????

And where will the barbie go? :laughing:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks to everyone for all the input. I really appreciate it. The pics dont look to bad but it looks worse in person. All the other houses around here that have exposed agg looks heaps better. Ill add another pic. I have an idea, would getting it polished/grinded make the appearance look better?

If that's 'really patchy', then all I can say is that you blokes must be getting some awfully good work......;)

Yeah, once it's sealed, it's awfully tough to fix any underlying problems, but honestly, it looks pretty good.......

It is funny to hear all the different guys giving you all the different answers, but that's masonry......no one said "it looks pretty good" ????

And where will the barbie go? :laughing:
Haha its just a path that the pic is of. The barbie goes on the alfresco :)

As you can see from these pics is looks horrible

Attachments

·
Registered
502 Posts
That's what we call terrazzo across the pond. Not sure about composition needed to achieve terrazzo. Must way in cost. Not my specialty by any means. Suggested as possibility if your OCD/perfectionism can't handle product you received. But on a lighter note those pictures do show more clearly the point you have made. Looks like wrong sealer or applied incorrectly. Again I must stress not my forte.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
No, I know a few guys here said it.......just no one down under.....and they're clearly getting a better view than we are, so I would likely defer to them.....
Out of 5 guys I've got to look at it 1 said it doesn't look to bad. No one unfortunetly has said "wow that looks awesome"

The seal that was used was nutech pavecoat just to answer a question someone asked before. I'm leaning towards terrazzo. However I've got a horrible feeling it might cost me an arm and a leg. I think my best bet is to leave it for a few months then if it's improved. If it Hasent ill get it grinded.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Concrete is a variable product. It looks like some area got too dry or didn't get sprayed hard enough.

It looks patchy because there is too much mud in between the exposed agg in some areas. I wouldn't seal it or blast it. let the weather wear some away over the years and just live with it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts