Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are putting together a bid for a canal reshaping project, and have run into an issue that the engineer for the project doesn't have the answer to. How can you place and compact fill on a canal bank that is under water. We can not drain or dewater the canal. We have to add in about 6 feet of canal bank to get to the proposed slope of the bank before placing the rip rap on it, and can not seem to think of a way to do it without lossing much of the materials. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks for any info that you may have!

·
Registered
275 Posts
I know they have special hydraulic fill mixes for applications just like yours. It can be installed underwater. I believe its a sand and gravel mix or something. I believe its pretty expensive stuff as well. I don't know much beyond that.

·
Registered
317 Posts
either place material that doesn't require compaction or build a coeffer dam. Are they requiring that you strip the canel bed before placing fill? Did they give you a spec on the fill material?

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
We are putting together a bid...and have run into an issue that [we don't] have the answer to. How can you place and compact fill...under water. We can not...seem to think of a way to do it without lossing much of the materials. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Eat what you can and what you can't - can.

That'd be my suggestion.

·
Chuck
523 Posts
Don't know if it's cost effective but could you sheet pile the section you need to fill and then de-water just the area between the bank and sheet pile? If you are going to post on here they like it if you introduce yourself in the introduction section and read the guidelines. Also do a search before you ask questions cause there's lots of good information thats been discussed already.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Sheet piling is not going to work due to the costs. We do not have to strip the bed of the canal, but we do have to clear stumps off the bank. The engineer has stated that in order to save money, they will be using fill from further down the canal. It is very sandy.

I have thought that we might mix pea gravel with the sand in order to not lose too much of the sand in the bottom of the canal. Using rip rap to create an underwater **** to contain the bottom of the slope.

·
Registered
164 Posts
It seems to me that if you don't build a cofferdam or drive sheets then it will be very hard to fill a slope to a set grade using "fill from down the bank". Just my .02. Sometimes it seems like certain firms put out vague projects to bid hoping one of us will field engineer it for them. Then other firms bend over backwards to help us with information and what not.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts