Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, have any one had experience with laminate with pad attached on the back already? I keep hearing bad things about it, such as the clicking system being exposed to moisture.

I have been buying laminate and underlay (rolls) separate ever sense i started installing, but im still curious about the already padded laminate.

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
I have mixed feelings. It is convenient and saves waste, but the savings amount to pennies.
It does not allow for upgrading of pad, and that is not a good thing.
Laminates are manufactured so good now, and it is only getting better, I cannot see how moisture could affect it any differently if manufactured correctly. A poly film should still be used over concrete.
What I DO not like, is when it is touted as a HUGE time and money saver. It is a neat concept, and I think all laminate manufacturers should have some colors in their line with the pad attached, but not the whole line.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I don't tend to go with one manufacturers recommendations.
I'm mostly on a slab in FL, lots of rain and groundwater not far down (3-4 ft.).
I use 2 coats of concrete sealer, Armstrong 2 in 1 sealed with a premium tape and then the laminate. If you are using a backed laminate, this gives you nearly 1/4" of cushioning, I would not recommend any more as the floor can 'work' too much.
I also glue everything to resist moisture penetration from above.
My only complaints have come from people with those InstaHot doohickeys at the sink. They have an unbeliveable failure rate.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts