Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to buy laminate flooring (Witex). Some come with pre attached underlayment pad, and some dont. Which is better? If I spend the extra with the pre attached, should I also put a regular underlayment down as well? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I like the pre-attached pad but still use Armstrong 2-in-1 underneath it. Makes it pretty close to one of the other, thicker underlays. This is what I did in my house.

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
pre attached pad makes it a tad easier, although if you were hoping for a higher end pad, it will not be possible if one already exists.
Although the pre applied pad is higher end than standard. but not the best available.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What is a higher end pad?? What is the best? Cork? My floor is going in the hallway and kitchen (2nd floor), and there is already Linoleum/vinyl down.

Thanks for your advice guys.

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
cork is definately the best substrate for lam if the manufacturer warranties it.

·
Knowledge Factory
1,359 Posts
Attached cushion is better for sound resonance. It kills that hollw sound a lot better then seperate cushion.

It actually voids the warranty on the products with attached cushion, to also used a separate cushion underneath(except firm cork)

If your going over concrete, you will need a sealedm moisture barrier, either way.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts