Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Radical Basement Dweller
26,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to install one to get my young dog off the lead line on a pulley between 2 posts. She has full access to the back yard but gets tangled in the cable quite often.
From my research, it appears the twisted wire can only be used at one location, usually leading from the power source to where you want a non-correction to occur.
My situation is as follows...
The width of the back of the house and attached garage would serve as the width of the area. The back door where she is let out is there also.
I have a fence along the right side of the property and along the back. I'd bring the wire up the opposite side, along the vegetable garden to keep her out of there. She thinks squash and watermelons are great toys.
My problem comes with a gate that opens to the neighbors yard. We visit them quite often and I'd like to have that 4' area free of correction.
Anyone know anything about these systems?
Thanks.

·
Radical Basement Dweller
26,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This is a rough drawing of the backyard. The proposed fence is in red. The gate is in black on the right. I'd like that to be non-corrective.

·
Drywall Slave
9,441 Posts
We have the wireless ..It works very well with the Yorkie , Cocker and hot dog.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I put my own system in after getting prices and then realizing it's so simple to do.
We have a fence along the left side of our property/driveway and what I did was run the wire 5' up along the fence. That way after setting the distance away from the line the dogs can get shocked (about 3')they can walk along the fence and not get shocked.

Maybe build a decorative trellis above the gate and run the wire up and on it then the dog can go through the gate with his collar on and not get shocked.

·
Radical Basement Dweller
26,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I put my own system in after getting prices and then realizing it's so simple to do.
We have a fence along the left side of our property/driveway and what I did was run the wire 5' up along the fence. That way after setting the distance away from the line the dogs can get shocked (about 3')they can walk along the fence and not get shocked.

Maybe build a decorative trellis above the gate and run the wire up and on it then the dog can go through the gate with his collar on and not get shocked.
You sir are a genius!

Duh! Thanks. I've only been thinking about this a few months.

·
Radical Basement Dweller
26,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What gauge wire did you use? What brand? Any other info you can provide is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I can tell you it is all in the training. My wife and I followed the training instructions very strictly. We had to put our dog on a leash and take him up to wire and let him get shocked then run him back into the yard. That tells them that the safe zone is back in the yard. After a couple times we had to actually drag him up to the wire and let him get shocked. It was really heartbreaking me and my wife were in tears doing it.

My buddy did not stick to the training and his dog runs the wire all the time. It's been four years and I don't even need to put the color on our dog. He will chase a rabbit or chipmunk through the yard and stop on a dime about eight feet from the wire. And don't count on your dog walking through the fence on his own. When we take our dog for a walk we put his leash on and he won't budge when we get him half way down the driveway we have to carry him out of the yard. But coming back home he walks in the yard himself.

Good luck nicko

·
Registered
344 Posts
What gauge wire did you use? What brand? Any other info you can provide is greatly appreciated.
I bought Petsafe in ground system and it came with everything you need- transmitter, collar and 500' of wire and training flags.
I bought an extra roll of Petsafe wire at home depot because I ended up needing about 200 extra feet.
The one thing I did was surface lay the wire in brush/vegetation along the one side of my yard because I didn't feel like climbing in picker bushes to dig a ditch. Every now and then I get some animals eat throughout the line and when that happens wire splices or even wire nuts can join the wire together again.
As far a digging, I used a spade shovel and pick and scratched about a 2" grove to lay the wire in. You don't have to go too deep.
The driveway I cut a 1" grove to lay the wire in then tarred over the groove.

One thing to remember is if you take the dogs collar off and you have it in your hand make sure YOU know where the line is. It hurts like a sonovabitch!

·
Radical Basement Dweller
26,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
One thing to remember is if you take the dogs collar off and you have it in your hand make sure YOU know where the line is. It hurts like a sonovabitch!
Cleo will be happy to hear that.

Thanks for the help. I have a 4' chain-link fence on the side where the gate is. Do you think 4' is high enough to stay safe if I run the wire on top of the fence? She's a medium sized dog.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
I could be wrong on this but I seem to think you can wrap foil around the line and block the signal

I had a lab that would climb 6ft fence and was going to try the underground but decided to go with a regular electric and even with a cattle charger on it shed still plow thru it like it wasnt there and come around the house to the front door and scratch to come inside

·
Artist and not a curator
12,967 Posts
Cleo will be happy to hear that.

Thanks for the help. I have a 4' chain-link fence on the side where the gate is. Do you think 4' is high enough to stay safe if I run the wire on top of the fence? She's a medium sized dog.
Why don't you just build an arbor over the gate like was mentioned before, run some vines up on it and boom, done.

·
Radical Basement Dweller
26,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Why don't you just build an arbor over the gate like was mentioned before, run some vines up on it and boom, done.
Yeah, that's the plan for the gate but there is 100' of 4' chain-link fence. Instead of burying the wire at the fence, I was going to secure it to the top of the fence...if that is sufficient distance before getting shocked.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Yeah, that's the plan for the gate but there is 100' of 4' chain-link fence. Instead of burying the wire at the fence, I was going to secure it to the top of the fence...if that is sufficient distance before getting shocked.
You can adjust the distance from the line the dog gets shocked by the dial on the transmitter. You can set it up to where the dog gets shocked about a foot from the line or crank it up were the dog gets shocked 10 from the line.

After I set it up along my fence I held the collar, making sure not to touch the probes, and you can here the collar clicking aka-shocking. Holding about dog height I walked up to the fence. If the collar was clicking holding it dog height I turned the transmitter down so when I raised it closer to the wire it would start clicking.

Its really trial and error.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I used a pet safe. I think it works really well but I thought the wire was to thin, I think it is 22 gauge. I went to home depot and bought a spool of 18 gauge wire.
I also have a fence about 75 feet long. I buried it along the fence also, it is a little more work but I thought it was the right way to do it to make a permanent install.

I have about 800 feet of wire. I rented a gas powered lawn edger and waited until the ground was wet and soft. I went around with the edger and had someone come behind me with a stick about a1/4" thick and push it down into the slit. also when you get back to your transformer put the wire in a cordless drill it makes it easy to get a nice twist on the wire.

take some pics of your install so you know where the wire is a few years from now.
nicko

·
K&B Plus...
242 Posts
Use two controllers. On for the leg on the right, and one for the leg on the left. That way there is zero chance of the dog getting shocked when you try to take him through the gate and it's easier to setup overall for you. It's not really a hugely greater expense.

Or, the above ground wire actually works better in a lot of ways. You just use the standoffs to attach to the existing fence. You can even fence in your veggies against deer. But the biggest advantage to the above ground hot wires is it protect your dog against intruders as well as prevents him from getting out. With an underground system, any dog can dig under the fence and come into your yard and hassle your dog, or get into your tater patch. I've seen folks who had the system for a front yard, and ended up with a vet visit because of roaming neighborhood dogs and the resident dog was too scared to run through the corrective zone to get away.

·
Box Builder
6,319 Posts
I was under the impression that you could twist the wire together multiple times in a run. You twist it to get away from the house and then you could go around a garden again in the middle of the run. I would definitely use the heavier wire. They also make an edger type machine that spools the wire right into the ground as you push it along.

·
Radical Basement Dweller
26,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I was under the impression that you could twist the wire together multiple times in a run. You twist it to get away from the house and then you could go around a garden again in the middle of the run. I would definitely use the heavier wire. They also make an edger type machine that spools the wire right into the ground as you push it along.
This was one of the original reasons for my post. I understand twisting them one time to get to the point you want to start with the loop but not multiple times. I don't know if that can be done and I don't see any evidence of it on-line.

·
Registered
593 Posts
This was one of the original reasons for my post. I understand twisting them one time to get to the point you want to start with the loop but not multiple times. I don't know if that can be done and I don't see any evidence of it on-line.
no it can not be done> the only twist are at the receiver. when you buy one the instructions will show you the different ways you can run the wire for different situations.

I like the two receiver idea. that would definitely work. But you would have to do a lot of training with the dog to let him know it is ok to go through the gate. Cause like I said if you go through the training right that dog will be death afraid to approach any border where the wire is.
nicko

1 - 20 of 20 Posts