Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Under Stair Closet and Pullouts

5K views 39 replies 16 participants last post by  Leo G 
#1 ·
Got a client that seems to like triangular things. I hate them. She had me do two nooks upstairs.

The money was hard to make with them. So on this one I made sure I priced it out right. She said no go, to high. I held my ground. After all, I had just completed two triangular units and I knew what was entailed.

A year later she called back and said they had saved their money and they'd like to start. Gave her the contract and started the job.

The job is to make a closet space, a broom closet and two pullouts under an existing staircase.

Made face frame parts and brought them to the site so I could get the angles perfect Brought it back to the shop and assembled it.

Made a triangular box for the broom closet, and some pullouts, one of which will hold a lot of shoes.

The pullouts ride on Blum heavy duty 30" tandem slides.

Made the panels/doors to make everything look pretty. It'll all be painted by me in the shop. Everything is made from maple, the panels are MDF, some of the face frame is maple plywood with wood edging and the 36" door is made from 1 3/8" thick Poplar. It swings on normal butt hinges. The broom closet will swing on soft close Blum hinges. There is another end panel that goes on the left side to close in the closet space.

perspective corrected.

See less See more
#3 ·
That's going to be great storage space! You should do this for a living Leo, you're really good!

Do you like 1/2" pipe clamps or 3/4" Leo? I am looking at adding some pipe clamps to my small clamp arsenal and wondered what you prefer...

#4 ·
All I own is 1/2"

#5 ·
Looks great, Leo! As usual!

I tell ya though, nowadays, if someone waits a year to give a the go ahead on some proposal of mine, it seems to never fail that material prices have changed (usually gone up) so much where as I simply can't do the job for the same price given a year ago (or more). I sure hope you came out okay on that one.

I tend to give some stipulation in a proposal as to how long my price is good for.

#8 ·
Pain in the azz precision. You need to be exact when cutting angles, you need to be more accurate with the lengths.

I hate triangles.

#7 ·
Well, when I figured the price I looked at it and added 1250 bux to it just because. So I was good. Materials weren't much compared to labor.

#9 · (Edited)
Well, the weather is playing games with my install date so I had to modify my schedule a bit. Since I figured I'd be installing on Thursday after I complete the finishing, and since the weather plans on being rainy for the next couple of days I had to do a rush on the face frame.

Since this is the only part that can't fit into a van because of it's size it needs to be delivered by open pickup truck.

So I did the first coat early today and the second coat around 3pm. Let it flash off (conversion varnish) and then put it in the flow of the heat. Cranked it up to 78F, it's low 50's today. Put it in the truck at 4:15 and got to the site around 5:00. Since I already fit the faceframe I just slipped it in place. Put a single screw in it just to hold it in place.

Got back outside and was talking with the client and it started to rain. Good timing.

I'll finish up with the painting tomorrow and then deliver and install it on Thursday, if things go as planned.

#11 ·
I'm assuming you mean you'd have gotten rained on. Wouldn't have mattered all that much. It's painted. Just wipe the water off. But I'd rather not.

#13 ·
I kept a good look at the radar. Calculated the trajectory of the storm front line and figured it would get there between 4:30 and 5:00. I knew I had to get the face frame on the truck by 4:00 to make it there before the rain.

In other words I lucked out.

#16 ·
Bosch Axial Glide saw. Got it on the 2nd try. Probably +/- .05 degrees. I impressed myself.

Some of the other angles were cut with the Festool TS55.

The connecting flat on the angle is about 11 1/4" long.

#17 ·
Got a late start today at the house. Took a while to load everything in the van and get all the tools ready. Discussed the plan before we left to make sure we had everything.

Got to the house around 11:15 and got everything out of the trucks, setup a work area and the tools. By now it was noon. Got started on the install and stopped at about 5:15 to clean up and consolidate the tools for tomorrow.

Got the closet up, the closet door swinging, the end panel up, the tracks for the pullouts in and the pullouts in place. Still have to mount the broom closet door and the pullout panels. All in all the plan worked out well and things went pretty smooth.

Bad lighting because of the sunlight coming through the window. The front panel is washed out. Tried to photo shop it better but looked really fake.

#19 · (Edited)
Only thing left to do is line the interior of the closet with a 1/4" prefinished maple plywood and put a pole and shelf in it. Handles still need to be picked up by her before I can install them. Might use Blum Tipon push to open hardware instead of handles.

30" deep broom closet with shelf storage

Tall boot storage

Shoe storage. Will have two pullout shelves when they tell me
what height they want them at.

Here is the overall look of the closet in the room.

#20 ·
Nice work. I wish I was more into being a finish carpenter and doing jobs like that myself. Just something about being able to show off the final product.

Almost nobody cares about seeing walls or a concrete pad after its poured, except the people having their own home built. The final touches though....that's where its at!

#22 · (Edited)
Finished everything up today.

She finally got knobs for the upstairs triangular cabinets, a YEAR later, wow.

I lined the interior of the closet with 1/4" prefinished maple plywood, put in hanger hardware with a metal bar and a good size shelf

And I got the pullout pullouts installed :blink:

#25 ·
These are the kinds of things that make a home unique. People will come and remark on these features as long as they are there.

I wouldnt have the patience to do it like you. Your really good. I hope you are using a sketch up type program to help work out the designs.

#26 ·
I use eCabs, but on this triangle stuff it's not worth the time. I use a CAD program to draw everything out and then enter the parts into eCabs and it spits out a cut list.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.