Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Home remodeling
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm starting a search for good manufacturers of low voltage under cabinet lighting for the kitchen remodels we do. Don't want to get into the 12v style unless I'm tearing out the drywall on the walls. Can anyone suggest a few for me that have good options.
And while I'm at it can anyone give me an idea of what type is the best to use when you aren't tearing out the drywall in the backsplash area. Or is 12v still the best to use. I looked at some previous posts, but most were from a few years ago. I'm sure products and styles have changed since then
thanks,
JHC

·
Registered
5,057 Posts
LED strip lights are good. You run up from an outlet into the back of a cabinet for powering the transformer which is doable without messing up the backsplash area. Then you're running low voltage wire everywhere instead of having high voltage that must be in conduit.

·
Super Moderator
28,831 Posts
For our new cabinets we use WAC low voltage pucks, we make a chase or false bottom on the bottom of the cabinets for them.

For existing, LED strips are good. Not sure of the brand we use, ill look later.

·
Registered
5,057 Posts
Jaws said:
For our new cabinets we use WAC low voltage pucks, we make a chase or false bottom on the bottom of the cabinets for them. For existing, LED strips are good. Not sure of the brand we use, ill look later.
I also didn't mean to imply you can't get low voltage non led lights. I was combining two thoughts, led lights (my preference) and the recommendation to use low voltage.

Just curious why you wouldn't use led on new work as well. I don't like pucks since it's not a very even spread of light.

·
Registered
160 Posts
For cabinets with a "false bottom" I use the WAC led puck lights.
The transformers generally fit in the "false bottom" pretty well. Eliminating the need to remotely mount them.

http://www.waclighting.com/product/2767

For non "false bottom" cabinets I like these.
They are by far the easiest to install. 14-2 right into the back and the screws are already captive in the fixture to you don't need 3 or 4 hands to install them.

http://www.junolightinggroup.com/attachments/images/content/SpecSheets/I1_1_7_1.pdf

·
Registered
624 Posts
Juno has the 120V products, but I usually use 12V.

I pull power up to the top of the wall cabs and place the driver on top of the cabinets. If there's a soffit or they go to the ceiling, I put power in the cab above the range. Easy to run wires between the wall cabs.

I used a peel & stick, cut to length led strip last week. Nice 3K light, easy to install, but not loving the peel & stick aspect.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts