Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am about to remodel the kitchen of my new house and am wanting to do something for under cabinet lighting. I would like it to be on a light switch and not the hockey puck style from HD with the touch sensitive dimmer that you mount under a cabinet.

What brands are out there that are good quality? I'm thinking LED. Also, I was hoping to be able to pre-wire for where the lights are going to go and drill small holes in the bottom of the back panel of my cabinets as opposed to running all through them with wires. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

So LED seems rather pricey... :laughing:
Maybe looking at xenon instead. I'm just wanting a good source on where to buy from that would be good quality. HD lights don't last long...

·
Design/Build
641 Posts

·
General Contractor
499 Posts
EmmCeeDee said:
How did you do the dimmer?
Most of the ones I have done were w/o dimmer and I just found that one from led wholesalers as a kit. Typically I run from standard wall switch to transformer in cabinet, then run leads under cabinet to led ribbon. I cut and solder to make a clean simple install. Seeing this new one with the inline dimmer it would also mount under cabinet after transformer.

I have not tried it, but using a electronic dimmer switch in the wall before the transformer should also work. http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ProductDetail.jsp?partnumber=VPE06-1LZ&section=47398&minisite=10251

I know there was another thread about a year ago from someone who does a lot of led cab lighting. He did nice work and had great ideas. Maybe he is still around and will chime in. Or do a CT search.

·
Registered
5,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The ribbon lights certainly look cool. I will give those a shot. If you ran them all the way around the cabinet do you cut them into strips where the side panels come down and jumper over? Or does it work to have a bit of a wave going?

·
General Contractor
499 Posts
Sorry I did not respond sooner. My iPad app will not allow me to respond to any post :blink:

No wave :no:

I drill a 5/16" hole just below the dado of the bottom of the cabinet. Pull the ribbon through the hole, or sometimes solder some 18g wire to the contacts if I need to turn a corner.

Clear silicone looks cleaner than the 181 hvac tape I used here ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
5,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Sorry I did not respond sooner. My iPad app will not allow me to respond to any post :blink:

No wave :no:

I drill a 5/16" hole just below the dado of the bottom of the cabinet. Pull the ribbon through the hole, or sometimes solder some 18g wire to the contacts if I need to turn a corner.

Clear silicone looks cleaner than the 181 hvac tape I used here ;)
Those pictures are very helpful. thanks a bunch. I'm trying to decide if I want two strips or just one. any thoughts?

·
General Contractor
499 Posts
I would start with one. I centered the last one like in the pics and achieved less shadows than when mounted towards the front of the cabinet.

You can always add a second strip later if need be, but I found the amount of light emitted more than sufficient.

I can't believe I haven't derailed your thread to discuss Mountain Biking!:clap:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts