Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A contractor friend of mine was talking about an Exotic Hardwood that can take up to 3 MONTHS to acclimate to the temperature of a room. This was said when i was looking at some Exotic Hardwood Samples that i intended to place in my store. Once i saw the wood that was packaged, i saw that it was of a different color and texture. The distributor told me that it could take up to 3 MONTHS before the proper color and texture is seen in the Exotic Hardwood.. !!

Am i really supposed to wait 3 MONTHS before installing this Hardwood ??

How could i tell a customer to wait 3 MONTHS before installation.. and there really Exotic woods like this...!!

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Well, of course it'll change color. But I do believe the really dense ones take a long time to adjust. Months? I did one that took six weeks. What are you looking at? Palm? Tulip? Rosewood? Ebony? Ipe? You got me curious now, dangit! Make sure he isn't 'adjusting the truth for his needs' (difference between Bolivian Rosewood and it's lesser junk brazilian version).

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
maybe if it was cut down fresh and shipped to you in a matter of days without drying at all......
never heard of such a long acclimation time.....and if I did I would use those samples as firewood so my customers never see em.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
maybe if it was cut down fresh and shipped to you in a matter of days without drying at all......
never heard of such a long acclimation time.....and if I did I would use those samples as firewood so my customers never see em.
Well you just described the entire Brazilian market. What you get is usually harvested within the last six months.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
They shipped across Amazon jungles ...along paved mud roads, potholes, etc.... thus explain slipperage, falling, pickup, and acid rain drops falling wet on all wood species.. (kidding). :whistling

·
Knowledge Factory
1,359 Posts
A contractor friend of mine was talking about an Exotic Hardwood that can take up to 3 MONTHS to acclimate to the temperature of a room. This was said when i was looking at some Exotic Hardwood Samples that i intended to place in my store. Once i saw the wood that was packaged, i saw that it was of a different color and texture. The distributor told me that it could take up to 3 MONTHS before the proper color and texture is seen in the Exotic Hardwood.. !!

Am i really supposed to wait 3 MONTHS before installing this Hardwood ??

How could i tell a customer to wait 3 MONTHS before installation.. and there really Exotic woods like this...!!

The longest I have had to wait for flooring to acclimate, was 2 months. Yes it was an exotic. It was delivered at 22% MC. It was a reclaimed Burmese Teak, that came out of India.

·
Knowledge Factory
1,359 Posts
:laughing: Talking about the acclimatization times.

It is not a time thing, that you can put a stop watch on.

It is a moisture content thing, that you better have a good accurate and calibrated pin-type wood moisture meter, like a Tramex Professional, or the Delmhorst-2100

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts