Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For state jobs my inspector required to use UL foil tape. Most quality tapes have UL on label but some don't have it on the foil tape. Does the inspector have to have it on the foil tape it's self also?

·
Super Moderator
23,803 Posts
going to depend on the inspector. ask him.

show him the unopened packages of tape with the UL label and explain this is what you are using.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: UL Foil Tape

Do you think the inspector would let me use the tape that the label says UL but not on foil. The label on the wrapper of tape says UL.

·
Registered
6,430 Posts
Do you think the inspector would let me use the tape that the label says UL but not on foil. The label on the wrapper of tape says UL.
Call him. You can pretty much tell when you try to peel it off, if it’s the right stuff it’s pretty tough to peel off.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

He has been pretty hard me with other parts of the building so I hate to raise any flags. Our supply house says that there 3" foil tape is what every one else uses. And you can't pull it off. But it doesn't have UL on the foil of tape.

·
Registered
11,393 Posts
Just order it on Amazon. I could order this morning and have it tomorrow.

First thing that comes up is 3M UL labeled foil tape.

Faster than calling the inspector.

Why make it harder than it has to be.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Problem is I have already did a lot of the duct and hang and wrapped. I no the tape is right but it doesn't have UL stamped on tape. This is a big job.

·
Super Moderator
23,803 Posts
you should have paid more attention to the specs or submitted the tape you wanted to use for approval or submit an RFI.

talk to the inspector if that doesn't get you anywhere go to amazon and buy the correct tape.

it does not matter if you think you are right, what the real issue is, does it meet what the specs & codes call for.

·
Registered
17 Posts
We use skrim tape (not UL rated) on the insulation. Mastic tape is supposed to be UL rated, for ductwork. Foil tape, for dryer venting, and bath fans.

·
Registered
11,393 Posts
If the inspector is giving you a hars time on other parts of the project, is there a reason?

If it is normal stuff, maybe it is time to just get humble, hat in hand and ask what he wants you to do to solve the issue.

Most likely, he will juat need the manufacturers specs.

But for the rest of it, get the labeled stuff. Sure, it costs more, but what is your time and hassle, and the good will of the inspector worth?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Sean
5,470 Posts
2018 code states -
M1601.4.1 Joints, seams and connections... Tapes and mastics used to seal fibrous glass ductwork shall be listed and labeled in accordance with UL 181A and shall be marked “181A-P” for pressure-sensitive tape, “181 A-M” for mastic or “181 A-H” for heat-sensitive tape.
Tapes and mastics used to seal metallic and flexible air ducts and flexible air connectors shall comply with UL 181B and shall be marked “181 B-FX” for pressure-sensitive tape or “181 BM” for mastic...
As I like to say the codes are black & white with a whole lot of gray - in black it clearly says "labeled" which many take to mean directly on the tape (which you can buy). With that they also mention mastic & the only place you will find said label is on the container so one can imply that also applies to the tape.
In general it is easiest to buy tape with the UL listing printed on the tape, but when not possible leave an open & unopened roll right by the main unit so he can see the "label" & that is what was used.

·
Registered
6,430 Posts
Problem is I have already did a lot of the duct and hang and wrapped. I no the tape is right but it doesn't have UL stamped on tape. This is a big job.

If it’s already done just call for the inspection, you’ll either have to redo it or you won’t. Same situation you’re in now. No shame in failing an inspection.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Get a copy of your receipt with the item in question on it and print out the specs, see if he will accept that documentation

-Rich

1 - 17 of 17 Posts