Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Artist and not a curator
17,631 Posts
All that work and it will still twist, warp, crack and fall apart. Treated wood is crap today and dries into a pretzel
You can get them to stay flat but it ain't worth the extra cost. Just buy better wood for it. Hell with how long it takes to make a pt door stay still you can buy an exotic and still come out ahead.

·
Premium Member
1,900 Posts
I don’t do the “friend pricing” thing, I just botched the quote😂
That and you got out a router and built it like a mahogany cabinet. Face screw the thing and be done with it. If they complain explain that screws are an upgrade you would normally just get the paslode.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Looks like he is going to pull it all together with long deck screws and maybe counter bore them and plug them.

·
Registered
12,959 Posts
Looks like he is going to pull it all together with long deck screws and maybe counter bore them and plug them.
Unless the boards were dried slowly it will shrink considerably and it will crack and gaps will show

I have built many brackets from 4x6s and laminated 2x6s, I let them sit stickered in my shop for 3 months and most of them don't sit in the rain

·
Artist and not a curator
17,631 Posts
Unless the boards were dried slowly it will shrink considerably and it will crack and gaps will show

I have built many brackets from 4x6s and laminated 2x6s, I let them sit stickered in my shop for 3 months and most of them don't sit in the rain
The only way I have ever got a PT door sit sit flat is lamination and a bunch of edging and facing on the lamination and then again as a blank before doing any mortise and tenon work.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

We’ll see! The wood did sit in a hotbox (enclosed cargo trailer) for a month while I was working on other stuff, so it is practically kiln dried, right? 😎
Honestly though, it didn’t feel wet like fresh PT. Didn’t even load up my belt sander, what better test is there than that? 😉

1 - 20 of 30 Posts