Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,
wanting to know if tyvek will protect the exterior of my project over winter without siding/etc. I am trying to budget the project properly, and will have the walls up, but will not have the ability to brick in time. Assume that it may be 6-months after installation that I will be able to side. IF properly installed, will TYVEK keep my sheathing from swelling?

Secondly, has anyone left a house un-sided over winter; the project is in Indiana--which has 'mild' winters= some northern winds.

Just trying to plan properly.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
I have 15# roofing felt on my latest addition. Been there two years. We get lots of rain, lots of wdr here. Hasn't been a problem. If your concerned with it blowing off over the winter, staple that plastic strapping all over it. It's better than lath, because when your wife insists you finally side the damn house you can just go right over it with the siding.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Tyvek warranty is void after 90 days exposure. I have seen many structures with exposed tyvek go a year without exterior finish applied. Some blows off, some deteriorates, some doesn't. I have no idea if it will protect your sheathing from mosture damage. I'm sure it will for a while depending on the variables.

·
Registered
17,271 Posts
do yourself a favor
check the tyvek website or call them

there are some smart people here but the manufacturer is a click away
then come tell us:thumbsup: so we know

they will even send you an installation manual so you know how to do it right instead of reading how other people[who most likely never read the manual]do it

·
Box Builder
6,320 Posts
It will be fine as long as you aren't worried about warranty. I'm doing an addition on my house. 2k sq. ft. Just my old man and myself. going way slower than I thought it would. Have had typar on it for over 6 months. Having a roof uncovered for that length of time is more of a gamble.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Typar? Typar is in noway water proof or water resistant. Perhaps you mean tyvek? Typar is geofabric to allow water drainage while keeping soils and gravel fines in place.

·
Registered
17,271 Posts
:laughing:
i know a guy that used the housewrap typar under a sand base that he put under a swing set for his kid

he had a pond under them.he thought the same thing
i told him to punch holes in it with a pitch fork

this is why i say go to the manufacturer with product and install questions

educate yourself the proper way,alot of what people say to do on here is the way they were taught not necessarily the proper way

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
Typar? Typar is in noway water proof or water resistant. Perhaps you mean tyvek? Typar is geofabric to allow water drainage while keeping soils and gravel fines in place.
Typar makes a housewrap product also.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
17,271 Posts
or just put a new layer on when your ready to side

stapleing plastic over the tyvek and then ripping it off is going to leave thousands of holes in the wrb making it useless

for the 10cents or so that it cost,adding a new layer is cheep considering what its supposed to do

protect the structure

dosent brick veneer require a double layer of felt?

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
"Mild" winters? :eek:
My grandparents lived in Anderson and the others in Hagerstown,IN. Coming from New Providence, Bahamas, I really know what a "mild" winter is. IN does NOT have them.

As I remember, you never know what you're going to get on any given day.

·
Registered
99 Posts
It WILL keep your building dry. If you put it up, tape it, use roofing caps. Ive had some on part of my house for a lot longer than 1 winter with no problem. May replace or do a second layer when the time comes but it will do the job.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.