Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We built a tiled shower using tyvek instead of roofing felt behind the substrate. Is that OK? The tyvek was stapled directly to the studs and overlapped the shower basin lip. 1/4 " hardybacker was next installed and all seams were taped and mortared. The tile was bonding mortared to the hardybacker and grouted. There was a shower seat that was sloped and tiled also. In the seat area the tyvek was not cut but folded into place. Can tyvek be used in place of felt?

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
calypso said:
We built a tiled shower using tyvek instead of roofing felt behind the substrate. Is that OK?
??? What if it isn't? :confused:

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
calypso said:
Thanks Mike. That's just great...
Calypso, why are you asking here? Go to Hardi's web site and get it straight from the manufacturuer. From the site " Hardibacker is available in 1/4” thickness for both floors and walls". James Hardie

Maybe next time check BEFORE you do the work?

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Q: Can Hardibacker 1/4" ceramic tile backerboard be used in a shower wall application? Is a vapor barrier required?
A: Yes, Hardibacker 1/4" ceramic tile backerboard can be used in a shower. However we recommend Hardibacker G2 if you need to make a smooth transition to drywall. The underlayment must be mechanically fastened every 8" on center to the wood or metal studs spaced a maximum of 16" on center. A vapor barrier is recommended.

·
Commercial construction
606 Posts
The Tile Council of America puts out a Handbook for Ceramic Tile Installation. It contains detail drawings for all of the common installations. It only costs about 7 or 8 dollars. I wouldn't be without one.

Last week I went to look at a bathtub/shower/ceramic tile wall, which was not done correctly. Water was leaking through the floor, and onto the Owner's Steinway piano. This week, somewhere in Albany NY, is a VERY unhappy tile installer... :eek:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the information from all of you. I did ask around before installing the hardibacker. That's why I was crying in my beer when Mike Finley questioned the use of hardibacker in a shower. (sorry Mike, I was not trying to shoot the messenger, I was just adding up my potential woes. My humor doesn't always hit the mark) I am very glad it is really OK to use. (thanks for that info Pipeguy)
Alot of the time I ask you guys first rather than go directly to the maker of a product because you have used all of these materials/products and know how they hold up out in the field. I value your street smarts.
I have stopped loosing sleep over it. Next time though, I will install a rubber liner below the shower seat that overlaps into the shower basin rather than folded tyvar.
And... no pianos allowed.

·
Commercial construction
606 Posts
We don't get a choice about the pianos. When the customer slides a Steinway into place under the bathroom, it changes the old risk/reward ratio.

Want street smarts? I know a tile guy who's got'em. I'll bet that right about now, he'd say to buy the book. LOL.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am going to use 1/2" cement board next time. I may even try an official trowelled concrete shower. (after many hours of research first of course). My new mantra is, "Hope is not a method". It has been in my head for days like an old song that won't go away. : )

1 - 14 of 14 Posts