Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
The house I am working on now has select alder doors and trim on the second flr.. First flr. African mahogany doors, sapele trim and just a touch of cherry in the Kit.
I tried to talk the HO in a Purpleheart mantle, but the Designer wouldn't go for it.

·
Project Manager HFH..
3,711 Posts
Lately it's been mostly morning wood.

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
The house I am working on now has select alder doors and trim on the second flr.. First flr. African mahogany doors, sapele trim and just a touch of cherry in the Kit.
I tried to talk the HO in a Purpleheart mantle, but the Designer wouldn't go for it.
Can you get base longer than 10' in alder?

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
My all came from an MDF tree....I don't know if they are indigenous to my area.

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
Sorry Gus, 10' was the limit.
That is the beotch of alder.

can't get 10' sheet goods either. If you ever seen an alder tree you would understand though.

You know alder is just a byproduct of harvesting fir trees. When framing material demands go down the availability of alder of any quality goes in the toilet. Seems the alder is just in the way of getting the fir trees out.

So I am told by the lumber reps anyway.

·
Registered
166 Posts
black oak,alder,pine,maple,cedar,doug fir,and white fir, cut and milled on my property. milled some 36" clear pine gun barrels last weekend .mill has a 4' blade and will cut 21" cant and from there a cut 1"x21" x 12' clear pine.unfortunately i only have a 20"plane!
had a 24" at the butt alder fall several years ago that made some excellent finish wood. soon to be cabinets in the cabin.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Been using a lot of maple, red oak, white quarter sawn oak, cherry, mahogany, rift sawn red oak. I saw some sapele just last week and would like to work with it. I see everyone uses African mahogany because of the cost of the SA mahogany. I was just in a local supplier and saw a set of nice looking double doors for a 6' exterior opening for $1000. I don't know how they can do it. They also had singles for $550. How do they do it??? I wonder how much profit they make after all is said and done.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts