Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what type of paint do most of you use? I personally have always used Behr paint from the Home Depot since it is rated well by the consumer reports an also readily available in NJ. But is there better or not?

·
Pro Painter
2,314 Posts
OMG!! :eek: Behr paint? That stuff is absolutely bottom of the barrel.....no nice way to put it.

Personally, I use all SW paints....For interiors, it usually goes like this: Master Hide Semi or Gloss for trim, Duration Home for walls. Exteriors can be a number of things depending on substrate, but usually Super Paint, Loxon, and Duration exterior.

Ditch that behr crap. You cut one line with silky duration and you'll forget behr exhists. You see how real paint is supposed to cover and look when finished, you'll spit on Behr, honestly.

If you don't like Sherwin Williams, then go with Ben Moore at least. Do yourself, and more importantly, your customer's a favor by not using low grade products. I don't care what consumer reports tells you. They're not testing against contractor grade, quality products. They're testing against "american standard" and "glidden"...which are garbage as well.

·
Registered
79 Posts
kpsproperties said:
what type of paint do most of you use? I personally have always used Behr paint from the Home Depot since it is rated well by the consumer reports an also readily available in NJ. But is there better or not?
What is a Behr paint?????????/ :confused:

·
Back from the dead...
6,646 Posts
Consumer Reports is a joke. They don't test for anything that I as a professional look for in a paint. For years they rated Pratt & Lambert Accolade as the best interior paint, to which I highly agreed. Suddenly, all these big box store brands are at the top? Me thinks someones pockets are being lined. There is no way that Behr can outperform a lot of the other brands, not by a long shot. I've test driven almost every paint on the planet, and Behr doesn't even come close to being decent.

·
...jammin
5,234 Posts
kpsproperties said:
I personally have always used Behr paint ... But is there better or not?
Yes

The only thing good I can say about Behr is, if working with that stuff is what homeowners think painting is like, it's probably sold them on hiring me to do the next job

I won't touch Behr paint with my 8 foot extention handle, with ProWallGuy's brush on the end!

Consumer Reports does not use painters or painting criteria in their testing
Please do not use CR as a guide to pick your paint
They really have no idea what makes one paint better than another

I use Ben Moore whenever possible
I will use Pittsburg also

I agree with AAPaint, cut one line with the good stuff and you'll never go back to the dark side

·
Registered
40 Posts
My preference is S/W, I started using them because of the several locations that were avaiable to me. They carry very good products and I have been fortunate enough to have store reps that have product knowledge.
Duration Home is an excellent product, I use it unless I have a wavy wall. It really will clean up, I marked a wall that was 36 hours old with a red crayon and was able to wash off the mark. They also carry a latex product that is excellent for trim, has the look and feel of oil. Quali-Craft is the name. No sagging, just a beautiful looking finish.
As for big box store paint products; my concern is that the paints are made according to buyers (big box) spefications, resulting in watered down products. And is there ever anyone in those stores with any product knowledge?
Brenda

·
Back from the dead...
6,646 Posts
Brenda said:
And is there ever anyone in those stores with any product knowledge?
Brenda
Brenda, I'm lucky if I can find someone who is qualified to run the cash register.

I recently ran down to Tampa with my wife to help my father-in-law put some new siding on his mother's house. We sent my wife (who was big pregnant at the time) to HD to pick up some plywood. She was instructed to get a specific item ,and told to have one of the guys load it for her in the truck. She came back and said the person there had told her NOT to get what we said, and sold her something else. Then, NO ONE would help her load it into the truck. I got so pissed I drove back up there, and dumped the plywood right in the parking lot.
Marched in, ready to kick all asses that got close, and got my money back. They said drive around, and unload the wood in back, and I laughed, and said its out front already.

How could anybody let a pregnant woman load pieces of plywood in a truck? If I was there, and didn't know her, I would have done it myself. What a bunch of losers.

Rant over :D

·
Pro Painter
2,314 Posts
You wanna talk about STUPID? A little while after purchasing my pressure washer I decided to buy an extension wand. I went to the orange store, big mistake. I spent over half an hour with one of their reps trying to find an "extension wand" for the rig. I found a number of things similar, but could not find the correct extension. The rep told me "we don't sell those...you have to MAKE ONE!" I coulda crapped my pants right there. You mean to tell me that every paint company in the world, including all the one's I've worked for previously MAKE their OWN extension wands??? Finally, after all that time, I go look again, and to my amazement behind the peices he was trying to sell me that I could use to MAKE one....I find the package that says clearly "EXTENSION WAND" on it. You know what he told me? "Oh, you didn't say EXTENSION WAND" ????????????????????? I said EXTENSION WAND repeatedly for a half hour and he tells me that.......sheesh! :eek:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts