Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My building is 32' x 24'. When I'm framing the walls, assuming my plates are 16' on the 32' walls and 12' on the 24' walls, what's the best way to tie them together? Should I have an end stud on both ends of both wall sections, or should I stand them up and then connect them with my second top plate? I've seen folks using ratchet straps to hold the two walls together while they connect them, etc, but I'm just not sure what's best.

Thanks in advance.

DWM

·
Registered
272 Posts
U need some one to school u on shear panels.

If your plates are cut accurately, plumb one end. far end ends up plumb? add an anchor bolt or tapcon near wall center...
You could stagger your sheathing ~ 2 feet /32 inches, so it acts as a lap splice.
metal flat nail plates?

maybe spend a few hours reading framing text? U tube?

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
8,299 Posts
The policy of CT has been to not allow DIY posts.

That has been the case for about 20 years or so.

So most members here are not interested in assisting diyers, myself included.

So, tell us what your professional affiliation is with the building trades, or kindly post your question at diychatroom.com.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm curious as to what your level of construction experience is?
Well, that should be fairly obvious. I'm a beginner. Most of the things I've built in the past have been small and electronic. I did build my 16x12 workshop a couple of years ago but I made some mistakes I'd like to avoid the next time around.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry folks. I had no idea about the DIY thing. I also had no idea that contractors were such giant puckering assholes. I've on more than one occasion been asked a question about electronics or music that was "beneath" me but I've found the best path is trying to provide an answer along with some humble education. I certainly won't darken your door again, and a hearty Piss Off to the lot of you.

·
Relentless
Space Mining
4,395 Posts
Sorry folks. I had no idea about the DIY thing. I also had no idea that contractors were such giant puckering assholes. I've on more than one occasion been asked a question about electronics or music that was "beneath" me but I've found the best path is trying to provide an answer along with some humble education. I certainly won't darken your door again, and a hearty Piss Off to the lot of you.
Quoted for quality assurance and training purposes.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Split the top and bottom plate (or shoe) on a stud. Not the same stud. Also make sure your double top plate splice doesn't line up with the other 2 splices. Hint: you will need to divide the wall into more than 2 for your plate lengths.

For the record I've always considered myself more of a duchebag than an a$$hole.

Any more info gonna cost ya tree-fi-dee.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts