Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Finish Carpenter
4,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do demo work for a general that also gives me my trim/finish work. Normally I just pile the trash up and he clears it out, but I have the chance to get a mason dump and I was wondering what a DEP permit costs and what the avg cost to dump is????

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
I run a 1-ton dump for debris.
Check with local landfill
We pay by the yard,depending on material.
Shingles when clean are free/they get recycled
Unpainted wood is free/gets mulched
Insulation,sheetrock,shingle mixed-$40/yd
Misc,garbage,vinyl,paintedwood,plastic etc.-$12/yd.
If you plan on it being a money maker:
Consider also for a cost/profit basis;
Insurance,tags,taxes,fuel,maintainence,distance and time to landfill,other uses.

I find it cheaper than dumpsters here,and have the option of moving it closer to building for loading.Plus I have used it for bringing in materials,lumber,stone for under decks,etc.

·
Project Manager
2,642 Posts
I do demo work for a general that also gives me my trim/finish work. Normally I just pile the trash up and he clears it out, but I have the chance to get a mason dump and I was wondering what a DEP permit costs and what the avg cost to dump is????
I'd check into if you even need a DEP permit. I'm in the Philadelphia suburbs, and the average dump cost is like $50.00. I think the state owns/operates a lot of the waste transfer stations and the rates are determined by them.

·
Contractor
4,742 Posts
I still don't understand how they car charge based on volume rather than weight. in DE, with an account with the dump site cost is $42/ton ($64 w/o account). what are you demo'ing?

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
I still don't understand how they car charge based on volume rather than weight. in DE, with an account with the dump site cost is $42/ton ($64 w/o account). what are you demo'ing?

I don't like the per/volume charge but they're too cheap to put in a scale.
Some of these guys can't figure yards out so you have to keep them honest when they charge $40/yd and you know that the 10 sq. of tear off you have isn't 6 yards.
Some guys are better and let you off easier,especially when you separate your clean wood scrap for them to burn in their little shack during the colder months.:thumbup:
Somehow it balances out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Some times you can work out a deal if u have certain types of material you are disposing of, the dumpster company can pay you for valuable scraps (metal or something similar). Just call around and you'll get your best/cheapest options.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Dep

In NJ Hunterdon Cty/ Somerset the fees are by the ton with a minimum 1 ton charge. The fee per ton varies in each county. The fee per ton is about $90 per ton.

·
Vice President
28 Posts
Removal of Debris

If you can a mason dump cheap enough it might be a good idea. As far as fees for dumping as you know different counties have different fees per ton. Look up fees in that county and compare to job cost.

As far as DEP fees are concerned to get a permit for a mason dump might be around $200 a year.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts