Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

First question is about the appliances you use in an out door kitchen.
I have gone to a BBQ Outdoor Kitchen Retail store, that builds kitchens for homeowners) in north Dallas and looked at some equipment. They will sell them to me, granted I have not looked at the places some of you have suggested on line yet.

I like touching a product first since I can't tell the quality in a picture. I also hate being wrong about telling a customer that this is the best product, if I don't know and haven't even seen one. I rely on you guys (and women) to put me on the right track.

They recommended three products 1. the Somerset, lower end line, 2. the Somerset mid range line, and then 3. the Twin Eagles a higher end product. The difference in the weight of the grill lid was amazing. The cost was also amazing, I could buy a pretty nice boat for that.

What brands do you prefer? Do you install doors and drawers or just doors? I will put my bottles underneath the deck, plenty of room.

Second question do you know anything about Thermory wood looks a lot like Ipe with a similar warranty. It also has an interesting, Jem-Joint on the board ends that allows for expansion. The boards are beautiful and a distinctive grain.

In advance thank you for your opinions and your time.

Bob

·
Premium Member
6,938 Posts
On the grill question, I stick to the upper end brands. Lynx, Alfresco and when the budget will allow it, I suggest Kalamazoo, but they are $$$$.

As far as doors or drawers, it just depends on the client.

·
GC/carpenter
43,838 Posts

I have gone to a BBQ Outdoor Kitchen Retail store, that builds kitchens for homeowners) in north Dallas and looked at some equipment. They will sell them to me, granted I have not looked at the places some of you have suggested on line yet.

I like touching a product first since I can't tell the quality in a picture. I also hate being wrong about telling a customer that this is the best product, if I don't know and haven't even seen one. I rely on you guys (and women) to put me on the right track.

They recommended three products 1. the Somerset, lower end line, 2. the Somerset mid range line, and then 3. the Twin Eagles a higher end product. The difference in the weight of the grill lid was amazing. The cost was also amazing, I could buy a pretty nice boat for that.

What brands do you prefer? Do you install doors and drawers or just doors? I will put my bottles underneath the deck, plenty of room.

Second question do you know anything about Thermory wood looks a lot like Ipe with a similar warranty. It also has an interesting, Jem-Joint on the board ends that allows for expansion. The boards are beautiful and a distinctive grain.

Bob
I got a sample of that thermory wood. It was baked, in an oven. According to the company it completely removes all the food in the wood so the termites and fungus no longer want to eat it. This is what my lumberyard Rep told me.

Sent from my SM-T520 using Tapatalk

·
Artist and not a curator
14,214 Posts
I like to try to go high end if possible but I would match the product to the job, is HO going to beat on the product, can they purchase without a heart attack, etc, etc.

As far as thermory wood, I've heard good things and seen bad. What's the species? One thing to consider... If something is trying to claim to be "as good" as the other, and both cost the same, why not just use what has set the standard?

·
John Hyatt
3,658 Posts
The cooked wood using southern yellow pine is a disaster . Along with removing/ burning out all the sugars the process also removes all the strength and produces a very brittle product, after laying out during my test out back of the shop I Easley broke it in my hand.

Another example of decking that looks good at the covered yard and goes to hell,after already being there, exposed to the sun.

JonMon

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It sure is a beautiful board. He sent me a variety of samples, some with clips, some without, and some T&G.

I doubt we have it available in Texas yet.

Like I tell Clemens you guys up north have all the nicer toys.

Bob

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
After reading what John wrote I may have to revise my thought on this board.

I will lay my samples outside in this Texas oven and see what happens to it.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,923 Posts

Bob
#2 Thermory is a really sweat product. No curves bows or cupped boards like IPE. Perfectly straight and square so no pre cutting ends like ipe. Ages like Teak. Also non toxic like IPE. Actually pretty much better all around. They spec 30year life span. I like you will be retired or dead so who cares. I have built 1-deck about 400sf -/+ a few years ago and was really sweet. You got me thinking about all the pros / cons compared to IPE. There is almost no reason not to use it. I'm sending my supplier an email right now to see if anything has changed with pricing or s/h.

Best of Luck to ya Bob.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
The cooked wood using southern yellow pine is a disaster . Along with removing/ burning out all the sugars the process also removes all the strength and produces a very brittle product, after laying out during my test out back of the shop I Easley broke it in my hand.

Another example of decking that looks good at the covered yard and goes to hell,after already being there, exposed to the sun.

JonMon
thats because your a beast…..lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts