Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question about something I have seen more than once.Two circuits run thru a 12/3 line going directly to the circuit panel then the red line would be on one 20 circuit and the black line would be on another 20 amp circuit.This seems to be fine ecept they both go to a junction box where all the grounds from both lines tie into one neutral the third white wire. anyone know what the code reads on this.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Your question is not in terms i understand but tying grounds to neutrals sounds bad bad. I'm a 5 year apprentice and havn't got past 20% on my practice tests but i know there are some pretty smart dudes on this forum. There was a thread on shared neutrals that was realy good. I printed it and read it before I go to bed every night. I'll be watching this thread. RT<P>
"So much to learn and so little time"

·
Electrical Contractor
744 Posts
How does it leave the j box? Are you sure the grounds and the neturals are tied together? Using a multi wire circuit is fine as long as it is done correctly. You should have 2 12/2 leaving the j box. One tied to the red wire and one tied to the black wire with all neturals tied together, and all grounds tied together. If this is a metal j box then the box needs to be bonded to the grounds.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
nuetrals and grounds

jbfan said:
How does it leave the j box? Are you sure the grounds and the neturals are tied together? Using a multi wire circuit is fine as long as it is done correctly. You should have 2 12/2 leaving the j box. One tied to the red wire and one tied to the black wire with all neturals tied together, and all grounds tied together. If this is a metal j box then the box needs to be bonded to the grounds.
The neutrals are tied together with a wirenut and the grounds are tied together in a pigtail. The question was answered with jbfan reply. Thanks for the response guys

·
DGR,IABD
9,683 Posts
See also the thread a few days ago on unbalanced current. In this multiwire branch circuit, the neutral can carry the unbalanced current of two hot wired IF they are connected to breakers on different phases. If both the red and the black wires were connected to breakers of the same phase in the panel, the neutral would carry DOUBLE the neutral current. Not only would this be a code violation, but also a fire hazard. Be careful when rearranging breakers in a panel to "make space" that you don't inadvertantly put two breakers that serve a multi wire circuit on the same phase.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts